Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 66

Today received my Philco 66.
I am sure I overpaid but then I am in NJ an nothing comes up here hence the eBay.
$150 shipping included in the amount.

Age shows in wear, but no egregious damage at all and the cabinet is very solid, this is why I liked it. And the chassis is simply dusty.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Philco-66-tombst...true&rt=nc

This is the one.

These are my pics of it.

That's a fantastic looking radio, congrats! Icon_thumbup

Great find,
Rub her down with a little Howards restore a finish and your good to go.
Congrats,
murf

Yep. I think maybe first some GoJo? It looks a bit grimy - could use some cleaning.
Or does GoJo then ingterfere with Howards?

I just rub it down with howards using 0000 steel wool, followed with howards wax treatment.
Have fun.
murf

OK. So (and I asked that question before) - should I buy any particular shade of Howards or it does not matter muc?
Will medium walnut do?

Just looked at it and realized all three tube shields are missing. I guess I got so excited about the non-rusty chassis and decent cabinet that I totally overlooked it.
Oh well, can't be perfect.
I think eBay has them for some acceptable price.

They have different colors.
Menards has it for about $9.00 a can.
murf

Looks nice morzh, I have always admired that cabinet design.

Gregb

There's another one with concentric semi circles.

Yes, I know that one, it is very nice as well. I do like the 60 series of radios, they work really well with a small tube count.

Gregb

Here is what you do Mike,
Take her down to bare bones. dismantle the body and lay it flat on a padded surface. using a q-tip and some lacquer thinner brushing counter clockwise in 1" circles, remove the finish. should take about 4 hours if done right. Then remover exactly 1/100th of an inch of the top veneer using a dull hand planer. (very important so you don't get any pink elephants in the finish).........Ok wait, that might have been part of a dream last night?

Or you can just use Howards too. Icon_crazyIcon_crazy

I think I need to go back to bed for a while. Icon_lolIcon_lol

Times I have been electrocuted in 2021
As of 1/01/2021
AC: 4 DC: 1
Last year: 6

A nite cap takes care of those.

I have a similar model, a 66B. I completed the chassis but the woodwork will have to wait until Spring.
Does anyone know what shade I should use for the front and sides?

Eric
Lake in the Hills, IL
Member: Philco Phorum, ARF, ARCI & Radiomuseum.org

Wow Eric, you really shined up this one; could pass it for a small E.H. Scott chassis Icon_lol
Looks a bit like one of those hot rod car's intestines, all chrome-plated.