Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average

Not receiving all stations on AM

Thank You Victor and Joe... You have given me things to look at and think about for this problem. I seem to be able to do an alignment on AM but for some reason I do not pick up many stations. If I use another am radio I am able to hear stations all through the band but on this I seem to not get any stations towards the lower and higher end of the band. Joe I tried t hook up a wire to all the ground lugs I could find and ground them with the wire but that didn't seem to make any difference in any hum. I do get a couple stations very well but any others that I do pick up isn't very clear, seems it should be more sensitive and pull in more stations than it does. I will keep trying your suggestions.

I found something strange. I found that when listening to AM and I use a wooden stick and brush it across the variable tuning capacitor plates I can either lose a station or it can bring more stations in. Do you think it is a bad ground, or the tuner needs cleaned better or maybe the plates aren't aligned right? They all look straight. Hoping someone can lead me in the right direction to fix this. Considering it can make the tuner pull in more stations , or lose the station, I am thinking this is my problem with not receiving a lot of AM stations. Any ideas?

warren.....antenna connection is very important on this radio for local and long distance reception. I think that I mentioned if the chassis is in the cabinet then hook up the loop am antenna leads connecting the white wire to terminal 1 and the black wire (ground) to terminal 2 then try your stations....then switch black wire to terminal 3 and try that.....if the chassis is out of the cabinet then try making a large loop antenna out of aligator clips and connect as described above. Also have you cleaned out the tuning capacitor fins with contact cleaner.

I have been useing the original antenna for the radio when playing and testing. I am going to clean the tuner again. I noticed if I tap on the top of the chassis above the tuner cap that it loses the station but I am starting to think that maybe when I do these things the tuner is just moving a very small bit and thats why I lose the station. I am doing more testing... Icon_e_wink