Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Majestic model 20

Found out this beast was still available up in Wooster, Ohio, capping off batches of radios I have been finding since that crappy auction last week. Even though it is a tombstone, it still has that Majestic heavy weight! Icon_lol

No matter where you go, there you are.

This is one neat looking set.
Just look at those finials.

There's something wrong with your Majestic. It doesn't look like mine. Both of the finials are there (though apparently someone painted them that ugly yellow.. they're not that way in R/L.)

My God help you when you go to fix that thing. On mine, the transformer was shorted, and of course every cap in the set was bad. They're an unholy nightmare to service, since the chassis must come apart to do any cap replacement (the entire bottom of the chassis has the caps, output transformer and chokes attached to it, and you must disconnect several wires and remove the bottom as a unit!) Good players when you've finished, though.

Oh, c'mon, if all we were looking for is "plug and play" who would then call it a restoration. Icon_lol

To savour fruits of labor one should, well, labour.

I just parted out a chassis from one of these. Holy cow is that a heavy chassis! I'd hate to have to move a console version... you'd have to reinforce your floor before you could move the thing into your house! The transformer was toast, and there were mice nesting under the chassis. It was too far gone to restore, and, sans cabinet, not worth the effort. But I did save a whatever I could, so if you may need something, let me know.

Greg V.
West Bend, WI
Member WARCI.org

And these power transformers seem to fail in interesting modes. Mine had a short between one side of the HV winding and the rectifier filament. Made a nice red glow on one side of the rectifier.

Well, I tried this set on the bulbs and got no reaction whatsoever, so it will definitely be a project. The good news is: my friend has a model 20 in a Majestic grandfather clock. He has a transformer for it and a possible second one for mine if mine is indeed fried. Though for now I am going to avoid lifting this beast anymore for a day or so! Heavy heavy heavy heavy heavy!

Heavy for sure. I have the highboy Model 92 version. Takes two to move it....

Cossor 3468
GE 417A
Philco 118H
Radiola 17/100
Scott 800B6
Silvertone 6130
Stromberg 535M
Truetone D1952

You think the 20 is heavy, try a 52 superhet, 54 lbs as I recall.

So then 20 is about 20 lbs? Icon_lol

I have heard estimates that this model weighs around 60 pounds and I have to admit it sure feels that way. Also, the speaker in this unit is bascially a full console sized unit. Not sure on the exact measurement, but it is quit large and has a canvas cone. Looks intact except it appears they used a rubber coating over the main coil that is crumbling off mine.

42 lbs.

Still heavy enough, like lifting those bags of softener salt at work! Icon_lol Actually, was checking the print and am surprised to find out that this is a superhet as well, basically giving both a tombstone to add to the Majestics and a superhet at the same time. Good, because I am not buying any more Majestics after this. If one puts too many Majestics in one spot, they will implode your floor and then keep going until they hit the earth's core! Icon_biggrin