Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

38-12C1 cabinet

There is a 38-12CI that has been on eBay for 'Buy It Now or Best Offer'. While I think their asking price is a bit steep ($75), I am curious as to what's underneath the paint. In looking at the gallery, it appears the "I" designation in models indicated "Ivory". Did Philco use the same cabinetry and veneer inlays in the "I" series, just unstained and painted over? I'm not crazy about the look of the "I" cabinet, but thought if I ever had a chance to pick one up, what are the chances of stripping the paint and having a nice wood finish instead?

Hi Tony

I once owned one of these for a little while, but then sold it rather than keeping it to restore, so I have never stripped one to see if the veneer inlays are there as with the lacquered 38-12C. I feel that they may not be and that the veneer may be inferior, best hidden under the ivory paint, but it would take a good stripping to find out. Anyone else know the answer here?

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Thanks for the info - makes sense that they might use an inferior cabinet to save costs. I actually just got a lacquered one a few days ago, but thought if the white one wasn't selling...I'll curb that thought Icon_wink

Question on the knobs - the 38-12C I received has two knobs that don't seem to match pictures I've seen posted on other sites. My knobs have curved words on the face of them, one has "OFF" and "VOLUME" on it, the other "TUNE" and "TUNE". Do these sound right for the set? As always, thanks!

No, the knobs you have on your 38-12 are not the correct knobs for the set. Here is how the knobs should look.

[Image: http://www.philcoradio.com/gallery/image.../3812t.jpg]

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN