Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Grill time! Making a replacement grill mold NEW PICS

Kirk,
It looks great! The problem is now the knobs look lousey.
Nice job,
Henry

Here is a complete list of Philco models using this grille, with color variations:

[Image: http://i326.photobucket.com/albums/k420/...g~original]

As you can see, several Philcos use this grille...and the majority of them used brown swirled Tenite.

The 41-221C, 41-221CI, 42-853 and 42-854 had "B'D'CST" and "S.W." embossed in the grille above the band switch knob.

[Image: http://www.philcoradio.com/gallery/image...1221ci.jpg]

The 41-226 had "P.B.", "B'D'CST" and "S.W." embossed in the grille above the band switch knob.

[Image: http://www.philcoradio.com/notebook/images/41226_b.jpg]

Decals would be an acceptable substitute, I think, and could be added by the buyers of these grilles to take care of that problem.

Looks great, Kirk! Icon_thumbup Icon_clap

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Wow thats alot, thanks so much!

Times I have been electrocuted in 2021
As of 1/01/2021
AC: 4 DC: 1
Last year: 6

Kirk ,
I wouldn't worry that some models were embossed or even about the swirling effect although that woulld be nice. If I needed a grill to complete a radio yours would do it. I think it would be interesting to know how the effect was done.
Henry

My guess would be that the best way to create the swirl effect would be to mix up two different batches of plastic resin, one black and the other brown or two different shades of brown, and then swirl the two together before pouring them in the mold. The guy to ask about this is a fellow in Seattle who restores catalin cabinets, or used to, his name was Paul Pontrello I think: http://www.pontrello.com/radios.html
Regards
Arran

If Arran's idea won't work, you could also try creating the two different colors, then pouring a "swirl" in first. (Think of it as squirting ketchup in the bottom of the mold). Just dribble the first color on the bottom of the mold. Let it set up, then pour in the main color on top of the swirl.

Hope you get it figured out. You are doing something that's been needed for a very long time.

The artist formerly known as Puhpow! 8)

The problem is that the mixtures of the 2 plastic colors when poured separate when dry. They won't adhere if not mixed from the beginning. I figure I can just use some paint and then clear over it.
Should be able to get the plastic next month. I wasted the whole 2 gallons and this month is tight with all of my purchases but I have lots of rubber left, Icon_lol

As of 1/01/2021

I think you may have misunderstood, you mix the two different colour batches separately, but at the same time, and then mix them together. This was how they used to cast the catalin sets back in the day and I think it's how Mr Pontrello recreates the marbling effect with epoxy when he repairs catalin cabinets.
Regards
Arran

From my understanding of doing a swirl effect, I would agree with Arran. Mix the 2 batches separately, then pour them together, but be careful not to mix them together just let them swirl together and pour into the mold right away, trying not to actually "mix" them together...takes a little practice. I would practice doing it on a smaller piece first so as not to waste so much resin while practicing.

That is the way I have been testing. I do mix them completely separately and at the same time but when swirled together, They don't adhere to each other correctly. Maybe i'm not working fast enough?

Thanks for the ideas and recommendations,

Kirk

As of 1/01/2021

Grills are coming along swimmingly!!
No pics until I get them all made Icon_smile

As of 1/01/2021

Hi just checking in to see if grill's are ready. Anxiously awaiting to to complete my 41-221, it's the final piece of the puzzle.

When I do not clean my grill the mold will grow all by itself.
The colo is usually green/white.

Kirk,
The plastic resin I used for the knobs i made is light cream color by itsself, you have to mix in the color dyes which is just colored part A. To create a swirl I mix the brown dye in to get the color I want then just before I pour it I add the black dye and barely mix it with a Popsicle stick then when I pour it, staying in one place as far from the mold as I can it swirls the black in with the brown as it flows through the mold. To make it more marbled I just mix in less of the last color and move around the mold as I pour it.
Your resin is probably different than mine but hobby lobby sells it if you want to swirl colors together it works really well and they have all colors of dye.

Yes,
I just picked up the smooth cast 325 and the dye. I am currently making Jackson Bell trim with it. I will not be able to make any grills right now as the master is out of my posession.

Thanks for the info though.

I will try it when I get the mold back. Right now I only have white made. I will have to paint them.

Kirk

Attached Files Image(s)

As of 1/01/2021