Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Grill time! Making a replacement grill mold NEW PICS

One "paint" swirl trick I actually learned from my 17 yo daughter (she uses this trick to paint her finger nails) use a thin pan of water, pour/spay your separate paint colors into the water as enamel will float like oil, swirl the colors together like you want it to look, then dip your part straight down into it, flip it over and let it dry then clear coat and smooth it out.

Cool,

I will have to try that!

Kirk

Times I have been electrocuted in 2021
As of 1/01/2021
AC: 4 DC: 1
Last year: 6

Ok,
50 ready for paint!

I will be making them in colored plastic but not for a few weeks. No money for it right now.

Attached Files Image(s)

As of 1/01/2021

OK,
I made 10 black, 10 white, 20 lighter brown and 20 darker brown.

What do you guys think are the best colors to do?

Which brown is better to match the original?

Attached Files Image(s)

As of 1/01/2021

OldRestorer Wrote:Which brown is better to match the original?

The darker brown. The 41-226 "Sled" used this color.

If you still have the list I sent you previously, you will note that none of these Philco sets used a black escutcheon/grille. If you can find a lighter ivory color paint, the ivory versions will look very good.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Kirk,
Those look great and hopefully your grills will bring many sets back to life.

Thanks Todd,

I just hope the $45.00 price tag will not kill the whole thing. That will not even make me even and thats if I sell them all.

Thanks Ron, I will definitely get the colors you suggest. I really thought there were black grills..... Maybe I saw one someone painted?

I will color half of the lighter brown ones with the darker brown and half of the white with light ivory

Kirk

As of 1/01/2021

Ok, antique white was the best I could find. The ivory was greyish and kind of sparkley.

What do you think?

Attached Files Image(s)

As of 1/01/2021

Looks like a brand new part (which, of course, it is). Icon_thumbup

Allow me to congratulate you. You have done an amazing job on these parts!

Since you also participate over at the Alternative Radio Forum, ask Gary Rabbitt over there what color paint he used on my 38-12CBI. Now that would be the perfect shade of ivory for those grilles. The antique white looks good, though.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

I need to find something yellowed... Maybe I can put them in a small room and smoke a ton of cigarettes for a month or 2 and they will get that patina....

Or I could ask Garyrabbit? Is that his id?

I have never seen him on the boards.

Kirk

As of 1/01/2021

I think over there, his handle is "gary rabbitt" (all lowercase). He is one of the good guys there.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

How do we place an order, I don't need it painted. Thanks!

I saw the grills at Kutztown and Kirk did a great job, they look wonderful.  I told a friend about them and he liked them so much he bought two!

John KK4ZLF
Lexington, KY
"illegitimis non carborundum"

Those are looking really good! Might be a good reason for me to stop avoiding Philcos with those grills now! I somtimes find those sets for sale cheap, but, ugh, the grills on them look like mutants from a horror film!

No matter where you go, there you are.

Kirk;
  Were you having problems with paint adhesion, the pain looks like it wrinkled on some of those grilles? If so you may have to give them a good wash in a degreaser, like hot water and TSP, first and then prime them. What sort of plastic resin were you using to cast these with, epoxy? Polyester?
Regards
Arran