Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 38-12CB

Went to the pinball show for the second day (wasn't going to originally) and came home with this beauty! Supposed to be already electronically restored and looks like new cabinet-wise. No cracks or chips that I can tell. I balked a little at the price, but I know this is Philco's first bakelite table radio and all I ever find intact are the wood versions.

Performs quit well actually, better than the wood 38-12 I own. Might swap it out with the 37-84 for my bedroom radio.

No matter where you go, there you are.

That's a real nice one!! A friend has the same set W/sw coverage it's a dandy too! From time to time the battery model of that set shows up. I've been temped but have too many set now!
Nice job
Terry

I was about to buy one on two occasions. 38-12 in backelite. They do pop up reasonably often but most of them are cracked.

Mr. Philco gave my 10 year old brother one of these a few weeks ago in Atlanta, it will be his second restoration. It's a great looking radio, and has the circuit of something much larger, sans a first rf stage. We're looking forward to it.

The circuits of 38-12 or 38-15 (which are the same except the SW band in 38-15) are very much the same as 18 which is a big good radio!

This has the same basic chasis as my Philco 17 'Mutt', which is the 38-15 version of this radio. That set performs quite well too. Sometimes it is nice to find an old radio that is already done and is 'plug and play'. Not sure what these sets are going for, but I like the fact it is a nice, tranformered, five tube set. Icon_smile

No matter where you go, there you are.