Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Did I just Find Original 20 / 70 Grille Cloth?

I did a buy out last week of an deceased radio repairer, Many items and boxes to go thru !
I came across this ! There appears to be enough for 6 more tombstone or Cathedral radios, was enough for maybe 8 but some was cut out.
There was an invoice from 1974 in with it?
What do you guys think?
Rock

Attached Files Image(s)

Looks familiar

Save me one for my 570 clock. The stuff on it now looks like poop.

Nice!

It's the correct pattern for 21, 70, 90, 71, 91, 19, older 89, and more...(not 20 though)...

But no one was reproducing grille cloth in 1974. That's the year I started collecting. As I recall, no one was reproducing anything yet at that time.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Back then nobody cared any old tablecloth would do.
Terry

Nice find! Probably some other treasures in there as well Icon_clap

Nice find let us know what else you come across thats interesting.

This is my question, answered nicely! Can I get some of it for my late 89B from 1933?

Here is a bit of blasphemy for you - Ron turn your head.

There were 3 patterns sold by GCH with that pattern. The only difference was color. They were Patterns 1. 2 and 24. Pattern 24 was described as a "weathered look" of pattern 2, but could be better described as a reddish brown version. This pattern was also used on some of the big, late 30s Zenith consoles.

If what you have is that pattern, I would be better to hold on to it intact, since these console take a larger piece. A GC similar to pattern 1 is being reproduced currently.

"I just might turn into smoke, but I feel fine"
http://www.russoldradios.com/

Russ, who is GCH?....oh, probably GrilleCloth Headquarters?

Sorry, yes it is.

By the way, I saved pictures of all of the old patterns, if they are ever needed.

Phlogiston Wrote:There were 3 patterns sold by GCH with that pattern.

Yes, I know that - I helped John develop many of those patterns, actually, by providing samples and critiquing the new products as they developed. (I didn't help with the 70/90 pattern, but I did help with some of the other Philco patterns he used to offer.)

If you're counting #24 (and I never did since it was not authentic), there were four variants, actually.

#1 (whiskey)
#2 (copper)
Unknown number (a combination of whiskey and copper)
#24 "weathered look"

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Agreed Ron, but I don't know what the 4th pattern was. Anyway the poorly colored pattern 24 is great for Zeniths, and if anybody comes by some of this nasty stuff, I would be happy to have it. It also was a perfect match for some 30s Crosleys and other makes.

I looked at a couple different versions of John's old site last night via the Wayback Machine, and did not see the combination whiskey/copper variation. Maybe that variation was sold by Michael Katz instead of John Okolowicz? Anyway, I not only remember the cloth, I had some sets pass through my possession that had that cloth installed.

Some Philco 89s and a few other 1933 Philcos did use a factory copper version of that cloth, so it was good that John offered both.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN