Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco PT-69 (Done), 38-62 (Done) & 41-22CL Resto Chronicles

So I just got these 2 radios since I cant get past the grain filling stage on the rest due to the cold.

The PT-49 needs a full restoration. It will need a cabinet overhaul due to splitting on the curves and veneer issues.Gluing and replacement then lacquer thinner and #0000 wool followed by the very important grain filling. It will also need new dial covers, one for the clock and one for the dial. I have been researching making replacement covers with .020 Pet-G Vivak® Sheet from US plastics.
I will need to make a 2 piece mold for each out of MDF. They are for sale on ebay but for $40 I will try making them. It should be fun. Icon_wtf

For the 38-62 It will also need full cabinet work but there are very few veneer issues (for a change) Icon_mrgreenIcon_mrgreen
The front of the radio is photo finish so I will need to clean it as best I can and spot fix the blemishes. The filler markers and crayons have not done it so I will be using mini brushes and mixed paints. The top and sides will be stripped with lacquer thinner and #0000 steel wool and grain filled.

I would love to know the toners I should use on these. I like to play with colors but want to keep these original.

I know you know the answer Mr. Ron

Kirk

Attached Files Image(s)

Times I have been electrocuted in 2021
As of 1/01/2021
AC: 4 DC: 1
Last year: 6

those will be great looking radios once done.
I myself eyed both models a couple of times.
The second one I see more on eBay.

[Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FpOYuCn95dY]

Medium Walnut on the PT-49. I think Perfect Brown, not too many coats, would look good on the 38-62.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Thanks Ron,

I began the gluing on the PT-49 and stripped the 38-62 and got a coat of filler on the cabinet.

As of 1/01/2021

I know it is not a cabinet pic but I cleaned the chassis. Have not done the caps yet and wish there was a way to get off the stains without painting..

As of 1/01/2021

Well, Today was veneering day on the PT
Stripping day on the Airline,
grill work day on the Aircastle,
Stripping day on the New Halson,
Break down day of the 41-22CL
6 chassis needing recaps and ??
And only 5 radio cabinets waiting for toner. Icon_lolIcon_lolIcon_lol

Attached Files Image(s)

As of 1/01/2021

Just popping in the new veneer on the front where it was torn away.
Tomorrow I can strip it and get it grain filled.
Then I will take all 7 cabinets to the house and spend a day toning!

Attached Files Image(s)

As of 1/01/2021

Well, the layer of base wood under the veneer I just glued came loose from the curve so I reglued that layer of under wood. I stripped and cleaned the cabinet. Tomorrow will be grain filler for a few radios.

I started working on the chassis and oh boy is it messy.
The wires are already crumbled and yes that is a broken in half resistor (I think it may still be good?) Icon_lol
I don't see any burned parts or smell anything so I am hoping no one tried to use it and the other parts are still ok.

If we are counting thats 11 radios waiting for toner. Icon_wtfIcon_wtf

As of 1/01/2021

Yes, if you glue that resistor back together you could salvage it. Icon_lol

Today I unclamped all the parts, Gave it a good stripping with #0000 wool and then grain filled the cabinet with Walnut.
I will wait 24 hours and then lightly sand the cabinet and add it to the waiting pile. I received my .02 plastic sheeting today so I will begin making the 2 part form tomorrow.

As of 1/01/2021

I'll mail you a new resistor (if I have it) and you can save your glue!!! :-)

I will have to get a new resistor I guess.

I finally had a beautiful day to work on the cabinets.
I got everything ready, set up, and got to working on the 7 cabinets.

Then 3 cabinets in I realized! I am out of medium Walnut and Perfect Brown toner.....Icon_thumbdownIcon_thumbdown

All I have is 2 black, 1 Ex dk walnut, 3 gloss, 1 semi, and 2 light walnut.

I am soooo frustrated that I did not check this before hand. I had enough walnut and perfect brown to do 3 cabinets but I think I need to add more to one. What a waste of a perfect toning day!

I got the Ex DK Walnut on the trim of the 38 and the Med Walnut on the PT.

As of 1/01/2021

Thats a perfect day....with snow on the ground? Icon_e_surprised Icon_wink

One way to solve that problem - if you need to buy one can of toner, buy three instead. You will never run out that way.

The artist formerly known as Puhpow! 8)

I did solve the problem! I bought 7 cans of each toner I needed! Icon_twisted

Of course I screwed up today!!
I was rewiring the PT-69 and didn't label one wire so you know what happened next.....Icon_redface

I also took out the tubes and now don't know where to put them back in the chassis. UGH, I wish I could read Schematics!

Cabinet was toned with DK walnut on the trim as it was before and along the insides of the windows. I have the plastic for the new dial covers but have not made it to the Depot to get the board I need for the 2 piece mold.
All I have to do is clear the cabinet and wax it. Then figure out the chassis.
All my radios have to play. "Its a thing I have" Icon_crazy

As of 1/01/2021