Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

It's getting more complicated, LOL radio+clock+lamp+?

Ok so I have been collecting radios for 8 months or so. I started with philco radios and then 3-4 months late I found something wonderful!
Philco clock radios Icon_mrgreen
I have a bunch of them now since I collect and restore clocks so a clock and a radio together is like a slice of heaven...

Well it has gone one step further. I recently found these:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Philco-Transiton...true&rt=nc

I love this idea and want them for the lights in my library. I used to do lamp repair so I can most likely fix those that are in poor condition.

Anyone have these?
are they good players?
Does anyone know what shades are most original to use?
Does anyone have extra parts or lamps they want to sell? Icon_mrgreen

Times I have been electrocuted in 2021
As of 1/01/2021
AC: 4 DC: 1
Last year: 6

From looking at the photo, the big problem is going to be restoring the photo finish on the cabinet. I would imagine it might be hard to find one in perfect condition.

The artist formerly known as Puhpow! 8)

I agree with Jamie. By the 1950s, Philco radios had become very cheap (quality-wise). That photofinish would present quite the challenge.

I saw a 1960 Philco hi-fi in a junk store recently - an H-1616.

http://www.philcoradio.com/gallery/1960.htm#u

I was interested until I saw the condition of the lid - definitely photofinish, and very rough. Even though it was only $25, I passed.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

http://philcoradio.com/phorum/showthread.php?tid=8915

Photo finish is not a problem, I just have to restore one good side on the computer and then make a copy for the other 3 sides on a contact or vellum. A little glue and Tada! new photo finish.

( sounds easy, Icon_lolIcon_lol )

As of 1/01/2021

I have a Packard Bell AM/FM set with a faux finish much like one of those Philco radio lamps, since it is a rectangular box I will probably just removed the flaky faux finish and laminate proper veneer onto it. Some people must have money burning a hole in their wallets to pay $45 for one of those Philco radio lamps in rough shape, it's basically just an AA5 inside, it's nothing outstanding. I think I would probably go for one of the Guild novelty radios of the same era, the build quality is actually better.
Regards
Arran

I would not say money burning my pocket but I definitely wanted this one and the other one listed. Condition is not a factor, I will restore it and it will be new again (hopefully) and well worth the $67.00 I paid.

I just have a picture of them on my mind on 2 Victorian antique claw foot tables right between the bookcases in my library.

Hopefully I win the other one for less but it will probably sell for a little more.

As of 1/01/2021

UGH, I missed the auction because of the stoopit PT-69 I was rewiring.
That stinks Icon_sad

As of 1/01/2021

I know how you feel, I have missed many auctions that way. Somehow I always get busy close to the auction time.

lol, exactly! what type of glue do I use on the Resistor? Icon_mrgreen

Problem is I cant read it to replace it and STILL CANT READ SCHEMATICS!
I need someone to come to my house or I will go to you and you teach me Icon_thumbup

GRRRRRRR!

As of 1/01/2021

Regarding missing the auction - eSnipe is your friend.

http://www.esnipe.com/

Place your maximum bid early via eSnipe and then forget about it. If you win - or if you lose - eSnipe will notify you via email.

(no, I am not affiliated with eSnipe, I'm just a satisfied customer.)

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

I like to bid myself. I like the thrill! If I miss it then it was not meant to happen. plus I am too cheep to pay for that service. Plus I would end up with even more radios than I already have...

As of 1/01/2021

This person has to be kidding me.

Attached Files Image(s)

As of 1/01/2021

Dont they call that "Shabby Chic", makes it worth more. Better grab it before its gone!

Gregb

That picture was taken in my garage, Icon_lolIcon_lol

They taped the whole front for shipping and it peeled off all the photo finish.

Rediculous Icon_madIcon_mad

As of 1/01/2021