Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 91H

Hi,
The radio is available locally for $50,00. Appears to be in the decent shape and not worked upon prior. Not working, powers up, usual thing.Know nothing about this particular model.Not sure yet if this is 1 or 2 band unit.
Is it a good price and is it worth an effort to restore it? Thanks.

Do you have a link or picture?

Gregb

To my embarrassment, I am having difficulties to move pictures from Photobucket.. Not that I dedicate most of my time to such venture, but tried few times with no success. Daughter"s involvement is in order.All the same, the cabinet looks unscratched and the innards are all intact and look proper as per multiple pictures I have found online.I think, the early ones had one band and the later ones had two, but I would not know until I get there.

It would be nice to see it but no big deal, I wouldn't worry to much about it. I figure for $50 a person cant go to far wrong now a days! The tubes will be worth that and if set is any good your got yourself a nice radio for little investment. Seems really difficult to get anything any good for $50 anymore.

Gregb

Yes, grab it.

I bought a 91D (highboy with double doors) a few years ago for $50. I ultimately decided not to keep the cabinet as it had been heavily coated with polyurethane, and gave it to another collector. I kept the chassis, and after getting the chassis up and running again, it now resides in a 91B cathedral cabinet.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

@ Ron.I am getting the radio today. Like the idea of putting the chassis into the 91B cabinet very much, as I am not that fond of the floor models.I have a question. According to the pictures online, the 91B chassis carries that triple tube shield on the left, whereas the console chassis does not. How did you get around it to keep the look original? Besides,there might be an issue with an excessive heat from the tubes.

Most 91 models, regardless of cathedral or console, used the single large tube shield. Only late production 91 chassis use the three individual cylindrical tube shields.

If the 91D had not been thickly coated in polyurethane, I would have kept it as I really liked that cabinet style. It's just as well, as I am now trying to keep the number of consoles here to a minimum.

The RF, det-osc and IF tubes do not generate much heat. Only the output tubes and the rectifier are heat generators, really. (Countdown to someone telling me I am wrong about that in 5...4...3...) Icon_rolleyes

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

This one, as per pictures, has no shield. It is a late one, with a triple power/band/band switch and the grill reminding the shape of a shield ( the warrior shield that is). Out of purist point of view,can it be fitted to the chassis if obtained elsewhere?

Can what be fitted to the chassis?

Any 91 chassis will fit any Philco cabinet designed for a model 91 chassis. You can even put a 91 chassis in a 90 cathedral cabinet, or a console cabinet designed for a 70, 71 , 90 or 91...but it won't be accurate, historically speaking.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN