Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

SW aerial

Never tried 75ohm on short wave receiver. To transmit you need RG58 ie 2 meter band to Hf bands. Have used single long wire to receive also 300 ohm or 400 ohm ladder lead with diapole ant. For 300 ohm twin lead try amazon.com cost around 15 dollars for 100 feet. David

ARRL Ant book now cost $50 not on my budget. Found another Ant book as a free pdf download looks to have lots of good info. May be over the top for just wanting to receive but a good read. David http://www.apparentlyapparel.com/uploads...n_carr.pdf

So, finally, It is done. 20 ft above the grade, 60 ft in total length, 2 pieces at 30 ft each coming to the central insulator, connected to the coax, one end to the center, another to the shield. At the set- tried the center wire to the "A", shield to the "G". Reception is poor, worse, than 15 ft straight wire. When both (center and shield) connected together just before connecting to "A"- reception is as good as my 25 ft wire hanging on the bush, albeit the stations coming in quite louder.But selection is still the same.Is anything wrong? I have been getting plenty of stations prior to that, but thought the new contraption will provide even better results.

Glad you have the ant up and running. Something to consider is time of day if I want to listen to OZ get up at 430 AM make coffee turn on short wave have a 2-3 hour window then signal is gone. Another thing just not that much out there to listen to the BBC does not send a signal to North America they are hard to find. Best time for listening is at night. Living in Fl. There is always Radio Havana some of there stuff is in english. Try the ham bands most signals SSB their are a few nets using AM. Also at night try AM band still a few high power stations out there. David

I have a long copper wire the length of my house in the attic, its about 70 feet long. I am able to pick up everything that is on at the times I listen. Great, simple, cheap antenna.

I pick up plenty if not more. Albeit not sure it is "everything". Hence larger, taller antenna has been installed.
Yet, the amount of stations stays the same as with a simple long wire.

That is what is to be expected. What stations you receive will be more dependent on propagation conditions rather than the antenna. If the conditions of the ionosphere are not favorable you will get no long distance reception at all. A good antenna will increase the received signal strength, but it cannot provide reception if the signal is not there in the first place.

Out in the work shop turned on my SX-130 to see what was out there just after 12 noon 9-19-14 was going thur the ham band on 40 meters found a net that I was able to listen to for 30-35 minutes keep fading in out every 5 minutes. The frequency was 7.251 mhz ssb. Total lost of singal around 12.40PM. My receiver is analog looked up ther frequiency on the internet. First time listening to these guys will try tomorrow just never know what you will hear. Ant 20 feet of wire about 15 feet above the ground my location 184 feet above sea level. David