Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

38-4 fake?

Good day all,

I have ran across a 38-4 or38-7. Before I go and take a peak someone painted the cabinet.Icon_thumbdownIcon_thumbdownIcon_evil.

Of course I can not get to upset, I have a 1910 oak lawyer cabinet my father decided back in the seventies to upgrade by painting it distressed. Was there anything wrong with the finish, of course not. Oh well thank heavens one of us is perfectIcon_lolnoIcon_confused

What I need to know does this have photo vernier or the real thing? In the pictures it looks like the cabinet is all there but under the paint?
In the add says wiring is crumbling.

This person wants $100. But my top bid will not go over $50.00 taken into account of the painted cabinet.

How does that big round dial work with that little knob on the perimeter of the dial? That seems to be my only questions at this time.

Thanks,
Ed

I think you might be talking about the Automatic tuning dial with "Magnetic Tuning." Here is an article from Chuck Schwark's web site that should answer most of your questions.

http://www.philcorepairbench.com/autodial/index.htm

John Honeycutt

It's actually cone centric tuning. Here's good info: http://www.philcorepairbench.com/conecentric/

I have a 38-7T. The tuning is quite interesting, basically the knob mutes the radio pulled all the way out, tunes normally in the middle, and locks onto a station preset when pressed in. The inner dial is fine tuning when pressed in. You drag them around the circumference. It's much faster than a regular cord and knob.

I think the assembly used some pot metal, so make sure everything behind the dial is in good mechanical condition before you buy.

Here's a list that Ron put together of all the Philco's with a photofinish.

Thanks guy's for the quick reply,
Looks like it does not have any photo vernier, with that dial had to be a high end model.
For a radio that is a very complicated part. I will call and see if I can set up a time.
Wish me luck.
Ed

The 38-4 is a nicer radio than the 38-7. However, both sold well and aren't terribly valuable from what I've seen. Mine was $20, and table models have sold on ebay for $50-$100 based on cabinet shape. Don't pay $100 with the paint.

Good luck!