Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

An Old Dog learns something new.

I came across a model 91 cathedral a while back, even though the chassis was, as we used to say in the USMC, "Fugly," the cabinet was decent. For 50 bucks, what the heck!

What I intended to do was get a late model 14 chassis and a K-17 speaker I had hanging around working and install them in the 91 cabinet. Voila, a model 14 cathedral. Right?

Fast forward to last night. Three bad coils have been re-wound, installed, and the set is aligned to where it is playing nicely. Now for installing it in the 91 cabinet. Unfortunately this is where the story goes wrong.

I had ASSUMED that the chassis of the 91 and 14 were the same. That is true for the EARLY 14 and 91, it is NOT true for the late model 14. The controls on the late model 14 are spaced farther apart like the 16, 17, 43, etc....

Lesson learned.

This sounds like a job for Steve Davis.......

Ugh...Tom, I feel yer payne. Not with radios but been there. Nuff to spoil a whole evening.

Yes, I uttered some naughty words....

I don't utter, I shout them and in Russian too, and this is nasty.
Straight burbon helps afterwards.
Alternative burbon doesn't. Icon_lol Icon_mrgreen
Nor does vodka. Vodka if anything exacerbates frustration.
And absolutely no wine when that hapens. Wine makes you pensive. Getting pensive while having a fiasco like this happen to you leads to bad thoughts like suicide. No thoughts. Hence straight burbon.

Feeling beter now?

Two words . . .

Single Malt

8)

You know, Tom, if you really want to get creative, you could take some measurements, remove the off-on-volume, band switch and tone controls, drill new holes and remount the controls to match the 91B cabinet holes.

You would have to be sure the tuning control shaft was at the proper height, and be sure the controls would all fit when jammed closer together.

It's worth making some measurements...

Sacrilege? Not as bad as taking a console cabinet and turning it into a touchscreen-Ipod-thingy that will be obsolete by next year.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

I want to do something similar with a 71b cabinet that is missing the chassis and needs a new control/speaker panel but I have not seen any other knob configuration that uses the 71 cabinet, if anyone knows of another? I have a few cathedral sized chassis without cabinets.

A 70 chassis will fit a 71 cabinet, and vice versa. I have a nice 70 cathedral with a 71 chassis inside.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Chuck,

Actually these several days my beverage of choice has been the Douglas of Drumlanrig's 14 y.o. version of Laphroaig, and it is yammie (it is my second time I buy this one) - it tastes even better than Laphroaig 18 years. (I love Islays).
yes, single malts are good, at least many of them. And I have yet to meet one I didn't like.
(to anticipate teh question of is there any type of aqua vitae I don't like, yes - regular jack Daniels I do not like. No offense to Tennessee).

Hmmm…I'll have to try that Douglas. I do like Laphroaig, but it's been a long spell since that last bottle. 'Bout time to try your suggestion then.

Strictly for medicinal purposes only.

Chuck

But of course. 20 drops, no more.
Advice - open it a day before, let it breath in a bit. You know those Islays, they are really pungent at first. It really mellows after a couple of days.

Yes, I'm aware. I usually open up the aroma and taste with a tiny splash
of water with a calibrated right handed swirl, once in the proper glass.
8)
Chuck

When I did drink I preferred white russians made with Smirnoff 100 and cream. Not particular about the brand of kahlua.

These bombs will make you believe that you are good looking, that you are bullet-proof, and eventually that you can fly.

Unfortunately, after the fun was over I often woke up on my couch but my car was not in my driveway.

Ahhh, the old dayz. At least it was YOUR couch you woke-up on.

Next week it'll be 6 years..

One day at a time!