Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Yellow tubular capacitors

Hey all, I was reading in another thread that heat is not good on these yellow caps. These are the inexpensive caps from AES. Are these a bad choice for tube electronics?

If I could find the place called "Somewhere", I could find "Anything" Icon_confused

Tim

Jesus cried out and said, "Whoever believes in me , believes not in me but in him who sent me" John 12:44

I think they are fine for vintage radios, just don't bump it with your soldering iron. I also try to put a heat sink clip between any component I'm soldering and the iron, if I have room but that may be overkill...others will surely have opinions Icon_biggrin

I agree. Those are fine. Like Bob said, keep the soldering iron from touching them and you'll be fine.

The artist formerly known as Puhpow! 8)

I've had good luck with the AES yellow caps. The white ones that Mouser sells melt if you look at them funny, let alone touch for 2 nanoseconds with a soldering iron...

John
Las Vegas, NV USA

I've only used the axial lead yellow caps from Radio Daze and WJOE radio. The finish or the WJOE ones is a bit rough but they test fine on a bridge, and they do not melt. The Radio Daze ones are a mixture of Illinois Capacitors and ones labeled identical to the AES ones with the values in Picofarads, neither of those have any problems with melting on installation either.
Regards
Arran

I use them but those yellow axials I bought though Mouser and they are made by Cornell-Dubilier.

So I am not sure why yellow matters but to me the definition "yellow axial capacitor" has very little sense other than describing appearance of wide variety of caps.

Thanks for the replies guys. I worded things like I did (for no other reason) because of the thread "Starting work on my 19B, post #14

http://www.philcoradio.com/phorum/showth...p?tid=8069[/url]

I didnt want to burn up something in the process of the fixing. If there are better caps to use, or if these are the wrong ones, I want to know. They all look the same to me, IC, Sprague and the generics I have been buying from AES.

If I could find the place called "Somewhere", I could find "Anything" Icon_confused

Tim

Jesus cried out and said, "Whoever believes in me , believes not in me but in him who sent me" John 12:44

Tim

A film cap is a film cap. As long as it is from a reputable source.
I dop not know where AES gets theirs, I buy my parts through major catalogs like Mouser/Digikey, they list all manufacturers for every part.

Well if there are a dozen or so, you could replace 'em all for few dollars and be done.