Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

new c/l find 116B tombstone

One of my regular C/L people called me today ! offered it to me for $60.00.
What a nice find !!!
He calls all the time !!!
Rock

Attached Files Image(s)

Wow, very very nice. That was a steal. Looks like it's in decent shape.

has he got any more 16s?

Guess not.....

It's an very good price, it looks reasonably complete, but I also noticed that it has some trim missing around the base, and some possible cabinet delamination and or water damage. That is the late version 116B from 1936, the early version has a shouldered cabinet similar to a Philco 620-650 but larger.
Unfortunately Philco decided to cheapen out on the speaker, they used an 8'' K series rather then the 10'' H series that the 16Bs and early version 116B used. This is really a shame as I like the late version 116B cabinet more then the early version, I think they used a higher quality cabinet with more veneer and less shading lacquer.
Regards
Arran

The 8-inch speaker could be better than the 10-inch. It's harder to get a 10 or 12-inch diaphragm to vibrate as a simple piston. For the same size field magnet, the 8-inch will probably be more efficient and can handle plenty of power.

Better, No, they built the 16B/116B sets all with 10'' up until the late model 116B, they had no shortage of power to drive one since they used push pull 42s driven by a 42. The field magnet on the 8'' is not the same size as the one on the 10'', if they compensated for this I do not know.
Regards
Arran

THAT is a NICE find, John!!!!!! Icon_thumbupIcon_thumbupIcon_clapIcon_waveIcon_biggrin

The late model 116B is less common than the shouldered variant.

I believe that the smaller speaker in the late model 116B was a precursor of the 37-670B.

Nice Rock! Hope it comes out great when its done!

Arran Wrote:The field magnet on the 8'' is not the same size as the one on the 10''

Actually, it is the same size between Philco K series (8") and H series (10-1/2") speakers. I know, as I have removed field/pot assemblies from H speakers for use on K speakers. They are not only the same size overall, but the pole piece for the voice coil is also the same size.

And Rocklandman - Congratulations! That has long been one of my very favorite Philcos. I have always preferred the look of the late version 116B. I guess it is mainly because it looks different than most other Philcos, while the early 116B looks like an extra large clone of other 1936 Philco shouldered tombstones. I've been thinking about selling my early 116B, but I want to hang on to my late version 116B for the time being.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN