Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

42-380 + ?? escutcheon panel

As I mentioned before, I have two 42-380s in the restoration queue.

As I looked more closely at the front panels, I noticed the metal strip that defines the controls were different:
#1 Bass, Volume, Bands, Tuning
#2 Volume, Bass, Treble, Tuning.

Based on what I can interpret from the schematic, I have to assume that #2 is the correct strip. Both chassis are marked 42-380 Code 121, and the cabinets are otherwise identical.

I then have to assume the other escutcheon panel is for a similar console, but clearly not a 42-380.

Since I really have no use for it, it's up for grabs if someone needs it.

Ira

The one with Bass, Volume, Bands, Tuning sounds like a 41-280.

Maybe somebody just needed to replace the brass strip for some reason and the one from the previous year was handy.

If the knob labeled "Band" feels like a rotary switch, but the chassis is labeled 42-380, then something intriguing is going on.

Edited to add: Are your escutcheons otherwise identical? The 41 and 42 escutcheons are slightly different, I think. The 41 escutcheon is completely flat, but the 42 model is raised a bit around the push buttons to allow the station identifiers to be inserted from the front.

John Honeycutt

Other than the metal strip, the escutcheon panels appear to be identical; however, it's clear the 'non 42-380' one had been replaced, since there were both Philips and slotted head screws holding it on.
The corresponding three pots were correct for a 42-380 on both radios.
The correct strip has a 'hump' about 3/16" high near the middle. How that happened I can't figure, but I saw the same condition on a You-Tube video of a 42-380.