Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

How many radios?

This has been a long, cold, harsh winter and it has stalled all my restorations.
I currently have 16 radio cabinets waiting for completion. The assembly line is growing and the chassis line is not moving. It has gotten so bad that I have run out of counter, floor, and shelf space to hold everything. This is the wall of radio cabinets that did not have shelf space in the picture and the line of chassis waiting to be re-installed.

How many radios do you usually have in line waiting for restoration?

Attached Files Image(s)

Times I have been electrocuted in 2021
As of 1/01/2021
AC: 4 DC: 1
Last year: 6

Let me see....considering I am on the 111 now....

1. 66
2. An AK console (forgot which - bought it end of this summer)
3. A philco Transitone (forgot which - got it for 7 bucks in the Kutztown auction).
4. Zenith Spinet
5. Zenith 7G605 The Bomber.
6. Philcop 70: Although the chassis is done, the cabinet is waiting (need the warmer time outside to do it).
7. An AK 33.
8, 9 - Two Zeniths Transoceanics given to mew by Sam the Mafiamen (not my fault though)
10. Philco 20 Delux.

About it. Before the end of this summer I should be able to accomplish most of them, as with very few exception the restoratgion is electrical.

About twelve. The Philcos are:

1. 87
2. 70
3. 38-7
4. 40-190
5. 38-12
6. 89 (just the cabinet now)

Other than that, a handful of mostly AA5s and similar from Silvertone, Trutone, Arvin and Emerson. And one early Columbia transistor portable.

I have about 5. I broke my arm falling on ice, so everything is taking a lot longer. Icon_e_wink Normally I only have 1 or 2 to get to.
But I have to resist the urge to pick up any more for fear of being overwhelmed.

I only have two to finish up plus two that are in transit to me. The two to be finished are the 89, waiting on the cabinet finish and a 37-93 that needs a dial which I hope is here this week. The two in transit are the ones I bought from Willie, the 116X and the 15. They will get the deluxe restore once they arrive.

Gregb

It depends on how many people send me + 2 or 3 of my own.

Russ

"I just might turn into smoke, but I feel fine"
http://www.russoldradios.com/

I have like six sets to be worked on, including the Crosley fiver that I currently have on the bench--things taking longer than expected because of other things going on--it's ok Iam not in a hurry--when I do have time to work on the radios, it is a pleasent diversion

I am working on one, close to finishing. I just bought a Philco 1936 (Actually it must be a 1933 89B by looking it up on the Philco page) Model 89 Cathedral soon to be delivered. That is all for now.

Philco 15X
Sparton 1568
Airline 62-403
Crosley Play-Time
Atwater Kent 20 (big box)
Philco 91 LZX
Bosch 670T
Bosch 680
Also my second Zenith 12S471, which I am doing for my friend Henry Harmony, a Great American.

I've made a big push since October to finish most of the projects that were half done, waiting for parts, or were head-scratchers that I couldn't get quite right. I've checked a few off my list that now sing pretty well.

On the bench right now is a Philco D-655.

Waiting in line are:

1 40-190
1 Zenith TO L600
2 48-482
2 41-255
1 42-350
1 GLF F770 (This one's recapped, but I can't find schematics or alignment instructions. AM works; FM, no.)
1 Grundig 2440U
1 RCA 56X5 (needs output xformer, otherwise finished.)
1 42-355 chassis only, royally butchered by previous owner.
1 46-350 (also waiting for output xformer but otherwise finished.)

John Honeycutt

Do you guys have all these radios open?
Or do you only open one at a time?

I am glad to know I am not crazy! Icon_crazy

Times I have been electrocuted in 2021
As of 1/01/2021
AC: 4 DC: 1
Last year: 6

Out of 12 or so, I have the 89 chassis still out for cabinet work, and the 70 and 87 out for electrical restoration.

Things get mixed up with too many out at once.

When I do take something apart, I bag and label the parts. I have large shelves in the shop area to keep all of the projects organized and out of the way. My wood shop is on wheels - all of it. I wheel it out onto the 900 sq. ft. pad in front of the shop. This keeps all of the sawdust out of the shop/office, but it is hard to work in the rain. On those days I work on chassis, sometimes 3 or 4 at a time.

I must add that I don't have any neighbors that would have to put up with this activity. I don't think I would like living right next door to me - unless I liked old radios - a lot!

"I just might turn into smoke, but I feel fine"
http://www.russoldradios.com/

I only work on one at a time since my work area is small, and to remind myself that I don't get to crack another one open until I finish what is on the bench

No, several are playing and are "acceptable" for the time being, but are in line for cabinet resto.