Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

37-650 or not?

Is this cabinet also available with the 37-650 chassis? I've a project with cabinet stating it's a 650, but as you can see in the picture this claims to be a 665.

http://radioatticarchives.com/radio.php?radio=1968

Appreciate the help in identifying this.

73 de,

Gary/N9VU

Hi Gary

That cabinet was available with Models 37-643, 37-650, 37-660, 37-665 and 37-2650 chassis.

The 37-643, 37-660 and 37-665 used a different escutcheon with larger dial opening. You will note that the dial opening on the 37-650 is smaller, but the escutcheon itself is the same size.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Thanks Ron for that info. Always good to hear from you as well.

I just wanted to check my options. Options being if the current chassis is a dog, I have two other 650's in storage working and inside of consoles that I picked up in the past at very reasonable times, so they can be sacrificed into this tombstone.

I really like the 650 tombstone. Big cabinet, impressive design, and so on. I'm sure you've seen them. I can imagine they sound good once restored as well.

Thanks again,

73 de,

Gary/N9VU

Thanks Ron for the info. Interestingly enough I mistook this set for dead until I reconnected the shadow meter. Works OK, needs recapping for sure, so at least the potential is there for the set to work with it's original chassis.

One other question on the shadow meter. Looks like the bulb inside was broken off. No problem, I've safely extracted those before. Is there a special kind of bulb used in these, or just a 44?

Again thanks Ron and others for your assistance.

73 de,

Gary/N9VU

Hi Gary

You can use either a Type 44 or a Type 55 in your 1937 shadowmeter.

Good luck and enjoy, Ron.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

I thought that a model 37-650 denoted a console model? Is the model number only the designation for the chassis and it can be placed in a table top or console? PL

Hi Planigan

Model 37-650 was available as a tombstone (37-650B), console (37-650X), and radio-phonograph (37-650PX).

See the Philco Gallery here on my site.
http://www.philcoradio.com/gallery/1937a.htm
(scroll about 2/3 down the page)

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN