Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Next project - 18H

Next on the bench is a Philco 18H. This is the 1935 model as the unit is AM broadcast only; the 2 band 18s were available in the 1934 models. From what I can tell, the 1935 18H shared the same cabinet as the 118H and 144. The cabinet is in fairly good condition, but with pieces of veneer missing from the top of the leg supports, and a chip on one of the feet, this unit will receive a complete face-lift. Also when refinishing the darker accent colors can be enhanced like it would have looked originally.

The code 124 chassis is a little worse off. For some reason black tape was put around the end of the shadow meter, as the unit heated up the tape melted and ran down the dial scale. I don't think the radio was used much after this screw up, being the black gunk locked the dial like glue. The volume control is shot, electrolytics were replaced over the originals without disconnecting the old, and about 6 feet of spaghetti tubing. All the coils in the RF section are so black I can't believe they're any good, but they check ok on the VOM. The whole underside just looks beat up and tired. For all this I'm working on a deal for a replacement chassis with a fellow member. The original will be used for parts. The coils will be rewound and used for spares, and all the condenser blocks will be gutted and shelved.

Cabinet picture
[Image: http://www.bmara.com/radio/18h600.jpg]

Shadow meter (don't use tape, it gets HOT)
[Image: http://www.bmara.com/radio/shadowmeter.jpg]

Good luck Ron, I am working on a Philco 96 Highboy right now that has seen some abuse (see link) but it seems to be going ok. I am now going through and glue all the joints and loose veneer so that I can strip it. After stripping I will be able to tell what kind of mess I am in for. The chassis is another matter, in good shape, only missing the 45's which I have replacements for. This is an BC only radio that only goes up to 1500kc, but it is the oldest one that I have and my wife likes the looks of the cabinet, so do I. Good luck and post some after pics.

That's a nice looking console Ron. I was always kind of surprised that they were still making a cabinet like this in 1935. Hope it turns out well!

Tom

Most 1934-35 Philcos I have encountered had a black material around the shadow meter; I think rather than tape, it was a gasket made of rubber or other flimsy material. Most are now melted. I have a 4-band 16B with the black stuff that has run down onto the dial lamp assembly.

The cabinets with legs were making their last appearance in the 1935 season. From 1936 on, for the most part, Philco's consoles lost their legs as the cabinets then went all the way to the floor.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN