Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Frozen bandswitch help

I have my radio open but the band switch is frozen. I have tried oiling WD-40 and the rust just wont free up. what can I do...

Times I have been electrocuted in 2021
As of 1/01/2021
AC: 4 DC: 1
Last year: 6

What radio is it from? Can you take it apart? Is it possible to soak it without ruining wafers?

I have been unable to take it apart. With my limited skills it would be really hard. It is an Airline 62-135 and the bandswitch is really complicated.
Of course I don't have an undershot of the chassis for some reason.

As of 1/01/2021

Try a mixture of one part ATF and one part Kero, let soak for 24-48 hours before trying to use switch. TAKE YOU TIME! May take longer then 2 days. Good luck David

Is your band switch shaft brass or plated steel?

I expect you are trying to penetrate corrosion - shaft to mounting collar / sleeve and not frozen detente between the chassis and wafers

Keep the chassis oriented so the different penetrating snake oils you try run away from the wafers. By their compounding, penetrates wick so they will travel up a vertical shaft in time. If you can get a bit of wick like a pipe cleaner around the shaft before the wafers it would also be good and change it out as necessary.

Life is better without snake oil on the wafers.

I would use an old syringe and needle (Insulin type is too fine and clog - try your vet, Pet Meds or local Coop) to add the oil just above the sleeve inside the chassis. Spray covers too much territory.

If the shaft is brass, one of the carburetor cleaners might be something to try. The dip type not the spray type. The spray evaporates quickly and you need something to penetrate.

The AFT mentioned by David is an excellent attempt

I also like Kano brand Sili Kroil, Tri Flow and Breakfree among others

A couple of times a day try using a 4" Cresent or make yourself a wider spanner to fit the shaft over the flat. Just a few light wiggles both ways. A soldering iron for some heat on the shaft in front of the mounting sleeve threads after a week or so along with the gentle wiggling might also help.

It took it a long time to corrode so take plenty of time freeing it up. Haste makes broken.

I believe it is brass and I will try those recommendations
Thanks!
Kirk

As of 1/01/2021

When using ATF & Kero you can use a small screw driver as a one drop oiler better to have to little than to much. Removing excessive oil from radio stuff can be a PITA. Good Luck David

I had to soak the shaft of a power switch in brake fluid for 3 weeks to get it to break free. ( no pun intended. )

Its still a little punny... Icon_lol

I guess I will have to try something. I am just afraid to take it out since my electrical stinks.

As of 1/01/2021

Hit it with some PB Blaster. Squirt it on the bearings and the switch. Let it soak. It has never failed me yet. Once you get it loose and moving, clean it with a heavy soaking of electrical contact cleaner, to remove any trace of the PB Blaster. After that, use a drop of light machine oil on the bushings and bearings.

The artist formerly known as Puhpow! 8)