Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

116X Help

I need some expert Philco help, I am working on the 116X I got from Willie and it has seen some service in the distant past but not much, three caps and a couple resistors. I am in the process of recapping and changing bad resistors and I seem to have some differences from the radio to both the early and later diagrams I have.
My question, is there another diagram around that anyone knows of? I can "ASSUME" the radio was working the way it is configured and update based on that but thought I would ask if there is another version.
Thanks

Gregb

If it is the quality of the print question, then why don't you ask Chuck first. If anyone has some good docs, he will.

First place I went was Chuck and my radio is different than the info he sent. I just powered it up for the first time and it works fine the way it is so guess everything is ok. I will leave it the way it is for now and see if any other info comes along.
The first power up seems good but I do have a ways to go before calling it finished.

Gregb

Does you set have the PP 6A3 output or is it PP 42s?

What is different about your set?

My set has the 6A3 output tubes. There are a number of small changes and if they are original to the set or not is hard to say but they look like they could be. The most obvious is a 50k ohm resistor in series with the coupling cap to the centre terminal of the volume control. It is a dogbone of the correct style as the rest of them and sure does look factory. There are more but that sticks out in my mind, I will have to document the others.

Gregb

http://www.philcoradio.com/tech/116.htm

This should help.

The more I look at things the more I think someone in the past has made some changes. There are a couple Philco branded caps that are not the right values or part number based on any schematic I look at so I am going to go with the schematic that Chuck sent me and allowing for documented changes. I am just about done recapping and this is the first Philco I have worked on that with almost 75% of the resistors out of tolerance. Sad to say I don't have all the correct value dog bones I need and the guy that was reproducing them had a flood and lost his equipment so no more new old dog bones.
I think I will look into making them myself.

Gregb

Got the set all recapped and reresistored and it seems to work ok but very little AVC voltage, will have to work on that. Peaked the IF all up and still really low AVC. Found two other things that look to be factory but not shown on any diagrams, no cathode resistor or bypass cap on the RF and the first IF tubes.
Other than the AVC issue it seems to work well and sounds really good, should be impressive in the cabinet.

Gregb

Oh yes, it has very good sound for 1936!! A very under-rated 15W set!

Looking at another schematic for the 116PX and this schematic matches the RF & IF sections of my radio other than the radio/phono switch. And the later version of the 116X matches detector and audio section wise.
Seems a little strange to me.

Gregb

That is the link I sent you.

It would seem that to read the entire page would have been of great benefit to me.
OOPS
Thanks

Gregb

So I have reached the point of doing an alignment and the IF was no problem and the RF seems to be not a problem but the antenna ajustment makes no changes. I have found the antenna adjustment makes a hugh change in reception as you adjust it on other radios but not this one. I can turn the adjustments any direction and any amount with no effect what so ever. Reception wise the radio is not bad but I did expect much better so there would seem to be a problem. I will have a look tonight but if anyone has any suggestions on what to look at please let me know.
Thanks

Gregb

Does anyone have a 116X that is in good working condition? If so could I ask you to make a simple voltage measurement for me. It does not require removal of the chassis or anything like that. Just go negative to chassis and positive to the grid cap on the RF and first IF tubes and let me know what that is.
Thanks

Gregb

And those measurements would be with a strong local broadcast station tuned in.
Thanks

Gregb