Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

New Philco

Picked this sweety up today. Looks nice but doesn't work, will put it on the list of radios to rebuild. It is a model 16RX

Main unit

Speaker Unit

Gregb

Ah...nice.

Funky little sucker, I like it.

Times I have been electrocuted in 2021
As of 1/01/2021
AC: 4 DC: 1
Last year: 6

Surround sound, 1930s style (40s?). Nice set!

Oh you lucky dog!!!!!Icon_thumbupIcon_thumbupIcon_thumbupIcon_thumbup

I have the model 17, a close cousin 11 tube-er, but the circuitry is actually much different!

Have been hoping to find a 16 chairside one of these days.

WELL DONE !! Color me VERY envious!!!!!!!!!! Icon_clapIcon_waveIcon_biggrin

Thanks guys, I was pretty happy to find it. As the pictures show its in really good condition cabinet wise.

Gregb

You did very well, sir. Icon_thumbup Usually, you can find the chairside unit but not the speaker...and the speakers seem to be very few and far between. In other words, very hard to find.

I had a 19TX control unit for about 20 years before finally finding the correct matching speaker cabinet.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Thanks Ron, I appreciate your thumbs up.

Gregb

I should clarify...when I said it took me about 20 years to find a matching speaker for my 19TX control unit, I was not exaggerating as I sometimes do for humorous effect. It was, literally, a 20 year wait!

That's how hard it can be to find those Philco speaker cabinets.

I wouldn't be surprised if several were "repurposed" into early hi-fi/stereo speaker cabinets, and then tossed when the novelty wore off. The same thing is going to happen to the radios that are being destroyed in order to be made into touch screen iPod-thingies. Once the novelty wears off (and computer standards change), these, too, will end up getting tossed to the trash heap.

So, anyway, Greg...you were very lucky indeed to find the matching pair.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

In the 30 years I have been in the hobby this is the first one I have ever seen in person. I have only seen pictures in books and on line. This is an American made set so I would assume someone brought it into Canada.

Gregb

Great find! Icon_thumbup

No matter where you go, there you are.

Ditto on the great find! Did you find that locally?

John KK4ZLF
Lexington, KY
"illegitimis non carborundum"

Yes I did, 5 minutes from home. I advertise all the time for repair work and get calls asking if I buy radios and most turn out to be nothing of interest but not this time.

Gregb

Greg very very nice find indeed! It looks the set was barely even used. They took very good care of it.

Super find Greg!!!