Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

49-1603 console

Normally I don't go for postwar consoles, but this weekend I found a deal on a really nice 49-1603 that was too good to pass up. Plus, I think the cabinet is kind of interesting.

The chassis is just a 6-tube, so it shouldn't be any problem. I'm less sure of the phono. Were they putting multi-speed phonos in consoles in '49? Does anyone have a manual for this set or one that is similar?

Thanks,

Tom

Tom I picked up a 49-1101, 9 tube model AM-FM model w/o rp they are not bad looking units but just not as sturdy as the pre-war models. They are smaller horizontal style consoles. Mine is in good condition and I plan on restoring it. I think they used a turntable a lot like the D-10's but were green in color.

The 49-1603 uses the same radio chassis as the 49-1602. The 1603 has a model M-9C, combination changer instead of the M-9 of the 1602.

The M-9C has two arms; one for 78s and one for the new Columbia 33-1/3 LPs. There's a switch to select the arm of choice.

NOTE!! Different stylus tips! Do not use the 78 arm on an LP. All you'll do is carve out the groove and erase the record!

The 1602 and 1603 are "hot-chassis" sets. Use an isolation transformer!

Thanks everyone for the info. The cabinet on this radio seems to be well built. Kind of surprising for a 1949 console with only a 6 tube AC/DC chassis and AM coverage. I haven't checked yet to see if the phono has both of its arms. Hopefully it does. That would make it the most interesting phono in my collection.

Chuck, does it say in the schematic which arm is which? You can probably tell by looking, but I just want to be sure.

Tom

zenith82 Wrote:...

Chuck, does it say in the schematic which arm is which? You can probably tell by looking, but I just want to be sure.

Tom

The 78 arm on the left side is the automatic arm, linked to the changer trip mechanism, etc. It's the larger "klunky" rectangular arm. The 33-1/3 arm is the rounder, sleeker, smaller arm that is used for manual play and will not do auto-changes. It only shuts off moter at record's end.