Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 50-1422

Hello all! I currently have a 50-1422 Philco radio/turntable combo and am trying to determine how to repair it so that I can put it up for sale. The radio does not come on, which I assume could be a tube issue, nor does sound come out of the speakers. The turntable turns as it should but makes a clicking sound. It does appear the needle is in good working order, as I can hear sound coming off of the record itself, but there is also a small box of replacement needles with the unit. Thanks for any assistance!

Hi, welcome to the phorum!

Before you power up vintage tube devices, there are several things you need to do to the electronics to make sure everything is safe, usually starting with replacing the capacitors.

Here's good info: http://www.antiqueradio.org/begin.htm

It's impossible for anyone to tell the model number without a photo or some other info. Philco made many dozens of radio phonograph models over 20 years.

Will

To repair a radio you would also need a few pieces of test equipment lke a volt meter, a vtvm, usually a signal generator, need a tube checker or a way to check the tubes, etc. Tube Radios also have very high lethal voltages in them so it is good if you have some sort of electronic experience to repair them safely. It sounds like by your thread that you are only repairin this one then sell it which if your not going to be repairing more than one it seems buyng this equipment wouldnt be feasible for you. Also, I wouldnt power up the radio until you have replaced the capacitors or it can ruin other things in the radio or even start a fire.
If you do decide to do this, you are at the right place there are alot of people here with the knowldge and willing to help. It will probably take a while to repair.. ordering capacitors, resistors , checking voltages and aligning the radio with a signal generator etc. We will try to help if you go through with it.

Hi Warren,

Thanks so much for such an informative and thoughtful reply! I suppose it wouldn't make sense for me to repair it, as you pointed out. I will happily take photos and post it in the for sale area, as is. Any idea as to value so that I offer it at a fair price? If not I will post it as best offer and will see what comes up. I really do appreciate your assistance and the time it took to offer it. Laurie

I'm sorry if I changed your mind, wasn't really the intent. I just wanted you to know what you were getting into and if you really wanted to or not. Sure post some pictures , someone could be interested in it. Will look forward to the pics.

Hi Warren,

Thanks again for your reply. Don't worry...you didn't change my mind. My intention was to sell it all along, but I didn't know if repairing it first was the right thing to do. In reality, since I have no idea how to do such a thing and have quickly learned in this wonderful "Phorum" that these radios should not be "tinkered" with, it would be best if I offer it up as is to someone who knows what it's worth and is looking forward to a project. I really do appreciate the assistance and look forward to sharing pictures and hopefully finding this little gem a good home.