Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

620b - worth it? (Bought it)

This 620B popped up on craigslist, and I'm going to Charlotte next weekend. I offered $50, he said he'd take $65. Is that worth it? I want a tombstone Philco, this one is in decent shape, but the electronics don't look like anything special.

http://charlotte.craigslist.org/atq/4428294651.html

Thanks!
Will

I would definitely take it for $65. Cabinet looks in great original condition and the chassis should be a good performer with an RF stage and two short wave bands.

It's a 6 tube radio with a tuned rf amp looks to be in fair shape needs grill cloth but that pattern is available $65 is not to bad of a price.

If it's still there on the 26th, I'll get it. Thanks guys!

The reason I say that is I have several six tubers from the same era, so nothing out of the ordinary.

Will

I'd go for it. Cabinet looks good and should be a good performer. Something you rarely see in my area. Seems most people bought the Philco consoles here.

No matter where you go, there you are.

I agree with everyone else who has commented in this thread - yes, absolutely, get it. Now, as for waiting until the 26th, remember...you snooze, you lose...

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

I know, I know.. But it's an 1:45 drive, so add a bit in gas. I'm going up anyway for a college preview day then, it doesn't make sense to waste the time and money. I'll think about it.

If it sells, it sells. There's been a good stream of interesting radios around here, I'll find something else.

Will

Sky

If you want it, get it now. If you are nonchalant about it, then of course, it is win-win for you whatever the outcome might be.

If I want something, I do 5-6 hr drives like einen spaziergang machen Icon_smile - then again, its me, I love driving long distance. Relaxes me.

I guess I'll ask if he'll hold it, otherwise I'll try to get it sooner.

I would love to be able to drive hours to get radios, but being a high school senior and all, I don't have a lot of time/money to spend. College has to be paid for somehow Icon_biggrin I'm the oldest of six, so not much help there.

Why not send him a deposit?

Eric
Lake in the Hills, IL
Member: Philco Phorum, ARF, ARCI & Radiomuseum.org

Ahhh, I feel you skyscraper. I'm in high school as well and I know the extra challenges it can bring to a radio hobbyist.

Anyway, this is a very good radio. The price is definitely right, too. See if he can wait until the 26th. That would be perfect. If not, well it's too bad. You can only hope it would go to a good home.

I've had to do the same several times. Sometimes it pays off, sometimes it doesn't. However, you can aways be sure there will be something else in the near or not-so-near future Icon_smile

Hi Felix, good to see you, I'm William M. on the facebook group, where I was ironically trying to help get another 620 running Icon_wink Great to meet another highschooler!

I asked him to hold it, and if he would accept a deposit. It's been a few days without a reply, I can only assume he was turned off by that (or maybe sold it..). I'll call him on Friday, and hopefully set something up. There seem to be a lot of reasonably priced sets in Charlotte, that haven't been moving. Keeping my fingers crossed. The ad is still up, that's a good sign.

There's plenty of other fish, and in the end it's still $65 for a radio.. My parents are somewhat less than supportive of $65 radios, especially when there's 20 more at home. I could pay for a whole hour of college with that much money! :rolleyes:

Will

Hehe! Great to meet you on the Phorum as well. ;)

While we're on the topic, what about a 37-650 for $60? http://charlotte.craigslist.org/atq/4433729382.html

I don't have room for it unless it's something really special. Wouldn't mind a shadow meter...

This is getting ridiculous Icon_biggrin

I would not call the 37-650X "special." Now if it were a 37-650B tombstone/cathedral (it sort of fits both categories)...that would be well worth jumping on for $60.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN