Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

1939 Philco Push Buttons Question

I'm working on developing push buttons for 1939 Philco radios. I have an old one someone sent me, and I have a '39 radio (model 39-25) that someone sent me to use for developing correctly working models.

The old button is too short to be used on the radio I now have on hand.

Obviously, some '39 radios take short buttons, and some take longer buttons. The long one in the picture is one I made to reach far enough into the radio I have on hand.

What models of Philco take long buttons, and what models take the short ones? Or are the short ones from a year other than 1939?

The flat shafts that the long buttons fit onto are vertical. Are the flat shafts that the short buttons fit onto positioned vertically, or are they horizontal?

Are the exposed button parts of the shorter push buttons smaller or shorter than the longer ones? The one in the picuture appears to be a smaller button. It may be that it shrank that much, but I suspect that the dimensions of the exposed button were smaller. Maybe if someone has both types of radios, they could measure the openings in the bezels to verify that they are at least the same diameter.

I'm just a few days from making the long buttons, but need more information about the short ones to proceed.
[Image: http://www.wowway.com/~blacksmith1/Push_...s_Both.jpg]

Hi

I think it's great that you are making these available.

I finally got around to measuring the escutcheon of a 39-36 I have here; the wider part of the button (back part) needs to be about 5/16" long from the front edge of the escutcheon to the back of the frame which holds the buttons in place. (Note that does not count the length from the front of the escutcheon on out.)

As I recall, the 39-25 escutcheon is set up the same way, with the same dimensions.

It is therefore my understanding that all of these 1939 models should require the long buttons:
39-25, 39-30, 39-31, 39-35, 39-36, 39-40, 108

The short buttons (which look like the wine colored button in your photo, only without the extension) were used in many 1940 models. The same shape buttons, only light brown in color and non-translucent, were used in many 1941 models. I can give you the individual model numbers if needed.

The flat shafts that the buttons fit into are vertical in 1939 models, as well as 1940 and 1941.

My 39-36 pushbuttons are in bad shape, as are just about everyone's, I think. But it seems to me that if you made the exposed part of the buttons the same length as the exposed part of the short ones, they should be just about right.

I can tell you that the diameter is the same, as is the shape of the exposed portion.

And the long 1939 buttons should be translucent wine, just like the 1940 buttons.

Good luck - I think all Philco collectors look forward to having a source of 1939 pushbuttons.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN