Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 18B - New find

Hi my phriends! Icon_biggrin

I bought this big boy last friday. It's a Philco (of course) model 18B, with a code 121 chassis.

As you can see, it received a thin coat of dark paint at some point in its life, probably in the 50's I'd say. I am currently struggling to determine what I should do out of it. This cabinet design looks amazing in my opinion, and the wood grain is awesome. I'm dying to refinish that one to an original look.

However, this radio has a lot of history. On the power cord is attached a label saying it was repaired at "Victor Perkins Radio Service", Brewer, Maine. I went ahead and typed the address in google maps. Man, what a good surprise I had when I saw that building, still with the "Victor Perkins" sign on the front, and some Zenith advertising in the window. I can't help but think I should leave that paint there, because I'm sure it was applied by the same guy that wandered in at the Victor Perkins radio shop in the 50's to have his Philco fixed...

Do you understand my dilemma? Icon_crazy

Anyway, thanks for your inputs. Time for a bit of eyeballing Icon_e_geek

POST EDIT : yup, I think that's some rodent damage you see on the chassis. Lovely. At least it seems easily reversible.

Attached Files Image(s)

Nice find, should clean up well and everything is there including a little rodent stuff.
Jerry

A friend in need is a pest!  Bill Slee ca 1970.

Yeah, it's not that bad. Icon_smile

I look forward to restoring the electronics of this one. Should be fun, but I want to take my time to do it right. I'll clear a few current projects off the bench first.

I like it but think I would do a restoration on the cabinet. Maybe not a strip but at least a degreasing. I dont think it is painted, it looks like a dark toner or just really dirty. If the tag was on the cabinet I would say maybe keep it there but remember the finish is already altered so its not like your would be ruining the original finish. Really it is up to you, you have to look at it every day.

Kirk

Times I have been electrocuted in 2021
As of 1/01/2021
AC: 4 DC: 1
Last year: 6

Great radio, the 18B is one of my favorite Philcos.

The paint needs to go! The front arch is mahogany veneer and the front panel insert is walnut veneer, very beautiful, should have never been covered up.

Steve

M R Radios   C M Tubes

Kirk : I believe I can assume it's paint, as there's some overlapping over the dial escutcheon, just like if it had been applied with a brush. You're right though, I will first try to clean it up to see if it changes anything.

Steve : Yeah, that would be beautiful Icon_biggrin

A very nice example of a good set!! Philco really had their act together with their 8-tube sets! The model 18 pumps out 10 watts, very respectable for a table set!!