Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Best Philco Tombstone for the Money

Now, I am pondering finding myself a nice Philco tombstone radio. I have a few cathedrals now and am looking for a Philco 60 cathedral, but I have yet to find a decent Philco tombstone for a decent price. Now, I know a 16B or a 116B would be a major score, but what would be the best starter Philco tombstone? One that might be had for a good price, look nice, and perform good?

No matter where you go, there you are.

My first was a 630 It was easy to work on, only 6 tubes I think. The 620 looks just like it (I think the 620 doesnt have a shadow meter like the 630) they are fairly easy to find for a fair price. They have a large case with nice trim and inlays which look really nice when refinished.

I dont know.. but my 37-610 tombstone is great at pulling in far away stations. Even pulls in things my RCA 816k Won't do!

The 620 and 630 are very similar electronically. As Todd (Tab) said, the 620 does not have a shadow meter. Both are great performers, and have real SW bands, none of which is wasted as with the 610, 640 and 650 which all have a band that is dead except at the very top of the band - the "police" band. The dial scale on that band only shows blank lines until the very top, also - the circuit apparently does not oscillate until it gets into the range of frequencies covered (2.3 to 2.5 mc or so).

Now, keep in mind that Philco crammed a lot of parts and six tubes into a chassis the size of a 60, so they aren't the easiest radios to service - but the effort is well worth the trouble.

The 620B is smaller than the 630B, and does not have the ebony inlay veneer on the front panel like the 630B has.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

I have worked on the 610 and 37-610 and agree that they are pretty good sets for only five tubes. Have done a 38-60 and it is also a good set, but does not have the large SW selection that the 610 models have.

Personally, I prefer the pre-37 model year sets to work on, as you do NOT have that pesky RF deck to deal with.

The model 18/118's and "650/655" sets are perhaps the best compromise of performance and tube count, for an eight-tube set they are VERY good.

Come on guys give Philco a hand on the 37-610 tombstone. For a five tube set it performs beautifly.

Well, John, if you noticed, Tom (TA) did give some kudos to the 37-610...and I agree that it is a good performer. But "Grimes' Folly" (AKA the RF unit) lessens it in my view.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Icon_thumbup

How about my first tombstone - a 66B?

Eric
Lake in the Hills, IL
Member: Philco Phorum, ARF, ARCI & Radiomuseum.org

Nice one, Eric. I was actually looking for a Philco tombstone Friday when I found my Atwater-Kent Little Stove. I kinda forgot about the Philco tombstone for a little bit there... Sorry, was just too happy to find a radio I have looked for nearly 14 years to find.

No matter where you go, there you are.

Thanks Jayce,
The chassis is finished.     I just started on the cabinet. Good luck with your A K.

Eric
Lake in the Hills, IL
Member: Philco Phorum, ARF, ARCI & Radiomuseum.org

Not bad at all !!!!!! Icon_thumbupIcon_thumbupIcon_clap

Model 66 is an excellent 5 tube set. I have had several and all were excellent receivers! Not as good as the six-tube model 44/144, but still up there!!

I like the cabinet on that Eric. Very slick looking for me.

Paul

Tubetalk1