Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

to flux or not to flux

Here is a debatable subject.
Whether to fuse flux when soldering, or is there a beter method of cleaning old solder connections before soldering in new caps.
I like to use it on old dirty looking connections to help the new solder flow.
Seems to take a little less heat to melt the solder with flux.
Or, do others have a better method when re-capping.
Also, is there a way of checking a cap when installed to verify it is good?
When I re-cap, I like to play radio about every 3 caps to insure I haven't screwed up.
Have one now that is acting up volume wise after the last 3 caps
Check location of caps and seems they are installed right.
Bad cap or maybe a drop of solder somewhere?
Have to get the magnifying glass out tonite I guess.
Anyway, to flux or not to flux?
murf

What sort of flux are you using? I hope it is not the paste type flux used for sweat soldering copper pipes. Paste flux contains zinc chloride and/or ammonium chloride, both of which cause corrosion of the wires and electrical leakage under humid conditions.

The only type flux acceptable for antique radio work is rosin, which is also available in activated form for more aggressive cleaning of oxidized surfaces.

I agree with that, but is it really needed with rosin core solder, or is it overkill?
I have used a Kester flux pen for electronic soldering.
Must be a better way to clean connections before soldering?
murf

I have a small can of flux that I bought at radio shack. It is for use with electronics. It seems to help the solder stick and flow when working on dirty connections. I usually dip a finger in it, then rub it on the connection, prior to soldering. It's pretty easy to use. You might try spraying some contact cleaner inside your volume control and see if that helps.

The artist formerly known as Puhpow! 8)

I use Kester Rosin Past Flux.

Still have a metal tin of it since the 60s.
Lasts essentially forever.

"A little dab will do ya".

Chuck

If you have to use flux, follow up with alcohol to remove the residue.

"I just might turn into smoke, but I feel fine"
http://www.russoldradios.com/

I keep a bottle of Kester 197 activated rosin on the bench. Saves a lot of solder: if all you want is more flux, you don't have to waste solder to get it. I suppose you'd have to buy a quart of the stuff minimum, so the flux pen would be a good alternative for small quantities (I got mine from work).