Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

48-1256 radio / phono

I replaced the cartridge in the photo and the sound is clear but I can't get the (volume) sound high enough. The radio volume control works ok.Is there some way to increase volume other than turning knob?

If the shielded cable is not grounded would that make a difference ?

have someone move this to electrical forum and they will be able to help. I am useless with this topic. Icon_silent

Times I have been electrocuted in 2021
As of 1/01/2021
AC: 4 DC: 1
Last year: 6

Thanks

Lumberman, if the radio volume is fine (loud enough) and the phono is weak, it suggests that perhaps your replacement cartridge is either weak or perhaps of the wrong type. Cartridges have a wide range of output voltages depending upon construction. Selecting the proper voltage output is fairly important.
Can you advise what cartridge you installed?
Refer to the schematic as to where the shield should be tied. That may or may not be a problem. It appears the shield is grounded to the changer base.
http://www.nostalgiaair.org/PagesByModel...013612.pdf
Jerry

A friend in need is a pest!  Bill Slee ca 1970.

There are several types of cartridges some have much higher output than others. I would suspect that you have a cartridge that has a low output or is a low impedance output. What cartridge are you using??
Terry

Jerry and Terry, thank you for your replies. The cartridge I installed is a Astatic 32 it states on the box that it replaces Astatic 34;l-24-a;l-36-a;l-82-v;l-92-a. If this is the wrong type where do you suggest I look for the right one,can you test the cartridge for voltage out put. The cartridge I replaced is a Shure crystal pickup cartridge P907, below that it states 35-2643. Tim

According to the schematic the shield is grounded to the turntable chassis and not at the radio end.
Jerry

A friend in need is a pest!  Bill Slee ca 1970.