Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Silverstone 4763

Happy Weekend EverybodyIcon_biggrin

I've been working on my Silvertone for a week or so. Most of the way through recapping. Tonight I got to one of the electrolytics in the set. I removed it, and managed to hack saw all the way around the base. My problem is that the two parts won't come apart. Here is a picture:

https://flic.kr/p/no6DPa

I tried heating it with a hair dryer on high for about 10 minutes, but nothing would budge. Is this a situation where I just have to pull harder, or heat it hotter (oven? If so how high for how long?), or something else?

Thanks in advance.

I would either pull harder, or cut all the way through with the saw and use pliers to pull it out.

I wouldn't think using heat on dried up electrolytics will do much.

I've never taken one of these apart. I thought it might be filled, partially at least, with potting tar/wax like Bakelite blocks.

Not in any cans I've taken apart, which is something like half a dozen.

Typically, that style electrolytic uses a tar like material to secure the actual capacitive element inside the can. It may take considerable heat to melt the tar and free the assembly. I have used a heat gun, which produces a much higher temperature than a hair dryer.

Thanks Mondial,

Might be time to get a heat gunIcon_wink

Picked up a heat gun an hour ago. Heated the cap for 5 mins on the low setting and everything pulled out. Thanks Mondial.

I saved a crock pot that my wife did not want any more from the trash. I used it to heat the Philco 20 filter block . It worked well and you can control the heat better than using a heat gun.
I have redone a couple of the 4763 but just put the filter caps under the chassis . I sold them at NEARC swap meets. One went for $125 and two weeks later appx Eric in NY , the one that holds most radios up in the air "sold " it for $425.
Does anyone know why many of the Silvertone chassis from that era turn dark and the labels look burned? Is it just a reaction with a cadmium plating?
Thanks,
Henry

Radiohenry,

On mine, the chassis is rather dark, though I haven't gotten around to trying to clean it up yet. Also all of the labels on mine (both inside the chassis and outside) look burnt. I had assumed they were actually burned or overheated somehow.

In all of my previous restorations, I just disconnected the electrolytic cans and added new caps underneath. I decided to give restuffing a try this time. I'll see how it looks after I finish before I decide to do any others. It is definitely more work.

How many people restuff vs. hide underneath? Curious.

I only stuff them if it's a really rare set. I respect others who restuff everything, and I wish I had the patience to do it. It's just too tedious for me. About the only things I always stuff are bakelite blocks and my face! Icon_smile

The artist formerly known as Puhpow! 8)

I rarely restuff . Generally only if there is no room under the chassis. Exception is something like the Philco 20 filter block that is really easy to do and keeps that job a lot neater. On a rare occasion I will restuff the bakelite blocks but that is rare indeed.
Henry