Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

48-461 prices and rarity?

So my restaurant was tearing down all the old junk on the wall to throw out and i noticed an old Philco 48-461 on the wall that they were just going to trash. I felt like i had to save it. Its in pretty good condition aside from a little peeling of the varnish. The power cord was cut but thats an easy fix. I was just curious as to how much it might be worth and also how rare it really is.
It was just too good looking to let go to waste.

Hi,
Any old set like this is worth saving. I happen to have one of these and like the rounded smooth styling of it.

I would guess that they are not really rare, but do work really well when restored. I was able to pick up many stations hundreds of miles away at night.

I don't have the set in front of me, but IIRC, the set uses a faux grain 'photo finish' instead of veneering. If one were to strip the photo finish, all you would have underneath is the cheaper 'whitewood' that neither looks good, nor stains well.

You mention the varnish flaking off. If the original woodgrain finish is still in pretty good shape, it can be touched uup, then apply a coat of clear lacquer to protect it. If you post a photo we can see what shape it's in.
If the finish is pretty well gone, you will have no other choice but to strip and perhaps with a dark stain and toners it will look presentable.

There are ways to recreate photo finish but that's another topic.

The actual value of a set depends on what someone will pay obviously. If I seen one at a sale, in unrestored condition I'd pay between $10 and $20. That's just me. Someone may have a current 'book value'. Remember price guides depend on a lot of things.

Overall, it is great that you saved the set. Every time one is trashed that's one more not in existance. This set would make someone a nice resto project. Kepp an eye out for old sets wherever you are Icon_smile

Good luck, and let us know what happens with the set.
Gary Rabbitt