Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Phonograph not amplfied

I am working on a 1932 Philco 22L I have everything working correctly except for the phonograph. The Phonograph will play and comes through the speakers but is not amplified. the radio is working properly as it should and the sound is amplified. I may be over looking something but I would greatly appreciate some advice.

Welcome to the Phorum. Your problem is more than likely a weak phono pickup cartridge if you get low volume output from your speaker. Not familiar with your set but does it have a plug in the back that the phono plugs into? If so, unplug the phono, turn the radio on and set to phono. With the volume set to the middle, touch a small metal tool into the center of the connector on the radio. Touch it briefly with your finger. If you get a loud hum, it's no doubt a weak cartridge that needs replacement/repair.
Jerry

A friend in need is a pest!  Bill Slee ca 1970.

Rhino

It is amplified otherwise you would not hear anything at all. Not enough amplification, this is it. Otherwise the sound you'd hear would be from the needle and nothing from the speaker.
Start from checking Volume reg 28, cap 32, cap 61and the switch - radio-phono.
Last tube before the 42, the 44.

Have you done the full recap? What else?

As for the pickup, it being electromagnetic and not piezo, I do not know ho often those go bad.
There are articles on how to check them, I never did that.
But before I blame the pickup, I would check the surroundings.

Assuming this is the one that had been for sale in Simpsonville? (that thread and CL ad has since expired.) I know the previous owner did not do any electrical restoration before using, but I thought he said the phonograph was working. Did anything happen in the interim that caused it to stop?

If you haven't already, replace all the paper and electrolytic capacitors.

My vote is for the cartridge. Had this before on a VM.

If I could find the place called "Somewhere", I could find "Anything" Icon_confused

Tim

Jesus cried out and said, "Whoever believes in me , believes not in me but in him who sent me" John 12:44