Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

44B or 18B?

I have the opportunity to buy either a 44b or an 18b both are first version with recess panels both are in great original condition and both owned by the same person, beside the escutcheon they are identical in outward appearance. I can only purchase one as he wants to keep one also. The price is the same for either one I buy.

So my question is, which of the two would be considered the most desirable? I have both in the second "flat" version cabinets but I like the large 19b/71b style cabinet.

Thanks, Todd

Well the 18B only has a broadcast and a police band, like a Philco 60, but then again it has push-pull triode connected 42s driven by another 42, also a shadow meter, so it's a real thumper for audio. The 44B has four bands, like a 16B, but only has six tubes and a single ended power output stage. If you like raw audio power go for the 18B, if you like DXing, go for the 44B. I don't think that one is worth any more then the other, but the 44B is likely a rarer set.
Regards
Arran

Thats what I should have asked, which one is the harder to find. Because as I posted I already have both units. I would only be buying this one for the cabinet style and rarity. I dont think I have seen either for sale anywhere before.

Both sets do not come up for sale often.

The 44B is the better radio as far as reception. And it has four bands.

The 18B is probably a bit rarer than the 44B. More power, but fewer opportunities to listen to shortwave.

I would buy the 18, but that is because I already have two 44s.

As much as I like the 18B, I have to say in this case I would take the 44B. A 44B with the insert front panel isn't as common as the 18B. If it were a flat front 44B, I would go the other way.

Steve

M R Radios   C M Tubes

Thanks for the replies, I believe I will go with the 44. I am picking it up today after work and will post a picture when I get it home.