Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Another PT-69 gamble and I lost...

So I won this radio on the bay and it was the usual "cord was cut" listing.
I took a gamble thinking i may get lucky but brought it up and it is dead. Icon_sad

I don't think recapping will change anything so put her on the pile of too inexperienced to restore yet.

The cabinet is pretty nice so just a cleaning there and I think I will leave the dial covers original since they are pretty good. I already have the molds from the last PT-69 but those dial covers were baaad.

Good news is................ I may be going to K-town!!!!Icon_mrgreen

I will bring my list of needed equipment and see how it goes.

Attached Files Image(s)

Times I have been electrocuted in 2021
As of 1/01/2021
AC: 4 DC: 1
Last year: 6

Kirk, Kirk, kirk,

Did't we teach you nothing?!
Even if the seller says it plays you do your due diligence inspecting the radio, but with cord cut etc....there should be no questions as to what to do first.
Inspect, recap. As a bare minimum recap all that is decoupling the power as a short there can kill the rest and then you incur more problems.

And another piece of advice - seems like you keep buying radios while having a small boneyard of those that are yet to be fixed. Maybe you should start concentrating on electrical, fix them, sort them out....there are plenty of radios, they won't go anywhere.
Buy those you consider must-haves (like for me those are Z Bomber 7G605, or Philco 38-690) and keep your eye on real bargains, but ease up on eBay for a while and start the electrical.

Uness I am mistaken and all your radios play by now?

That's a nice looking set and should be easy to fix unless someone has been goofing around in it already.

Otherwise, +1 on what Mike said.

I also don't consider 'cutting the cord' to absolve the seller from listing the condition as they know it. In-other-words if they muck around and find bad transformers I think it is wrong to cut the cord and play dumb. On-the-other-hand, if a cord is cut it is probably best to expect the worse.

John KK4ZLF
Lexington, KY
"illegitimis non carborundum"

I stopped buying radios last month. no more unless it is a special must have.
this was one of them. I am saving for the test equipment. I really got it to help restore the first one that I think I miswired. I'll trace all the replaced wires and hopefully fix what I did wrong using the second chassis as a guide.

Times I have been electrocuted in 2021
As of 1/01/2021
AC: 4 DC: 1
Last year: 6

My wife sells antiques, and many times she will cut the cord on old electronic items (milk shake mixers, hair dryers, and yes, even radios) if she knows they do not work, and always if the power cord is frayed and worn. Why? Because, the first thing people want to do is find a socket and plug them in. Even if it is labeled "Does NOT work", even if the cord is bare wires... they will plug it in. Cutting the cord keeps people from electrocuting themselves and/or knocking out the fuse in the antique mall. So, if they go home, replace the cord and proceed to set themselves on fire... legal liability is on them. It's just one more possible reasons why a cord has been cut. Icon_smile

Good advice to Kirk.. Time to start fixing radios instead buying radios. Kirk, maybe there is a radio club in your area? You could meet up with someone who could help you learn?

The artist formerly known as Puhpow! 8)

Kirk

Sent you a PM.

kirk
why don`t you and morz get together do some cabinets for him he can do chassis for you. do stuff you wont get rid of this way nobody gets used
or you go to his house and learn electrical one day and he comes to yours to learn wood working
sam