Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Model 19B Completed

Hi Everyone,

Unbelieveably, I started working on this radio on 11/30. There were a lot of detours along the way, but I finally finished the cabinet work this afternoon, and tonight I put her back together. Here is a before shot (minus the chassis at that point).

https://flic.kr/p/mWCteN

And here is the after shot.

https://flic.kr/p/nea7gc

I have to say that I'm really impressed with the sound that this set puts out. Really good for a set this size. That's a compliment to the people that designed and built this, not to me.

Not perfect by any means, but I definitely learned a lot in bringing this one back to life, and in trying to refurb the cabinet.

Thanks again to all that offered assistance with the chassis and cabinet rework. You are the bestIcon_thumbup

Jon

Good Job ! Icon_clap

Looks Icon_thumbupIcon_thumbup

Makes me want one, Icon_lol

Good job on that finish

Times I have been electrocuted in 2021
As of 1/01/2021
AC: 4 DC: 1
Last year: 6

Beautiful jobIcon_smile

Never apologize for taking whatever time you need to restore your pride and joy. It just proves that you are a true antique radio hobbyist preserving our heritage.

Working on one radio for 6 months or more is the routine for me. Part of the attraction of this hobby is working on something that has no deadline so I can take my time, pay attention to the smallest details and relax and enjoy the work. I myself have been working on a model 118 since before October and it's now waiting for grille cloth.

Steve D

Great job PAradiogeek. +one on Steve D's comments. I was several months on my 144 Philco. Still need to put it all together. This hobby has taught me to be alot more patient than when I first started.

Jon

Nice looking radio.

I noticed the black power wire that hooks up to a cap (probably the line filter) is soldered to the remnant of the old wire that also has a cracked insulation.
Why not solder directly to the cap? There is enough length.

Steve D: Thank you very much, you are very generous. I'm still learning about radios and learning to be patient has been, and will probably continue to be, a lifelong struggle for me;) This is probably good practice at that.

Morzh: You're right, that is the line filter bakelite. That wire was spliced by someone else before I got it. I see what you are talking about in that the insulation on the original wire looks cracked in the picture. I'm going from memory now, but I know I looked at that wire when I was under there and I don't recall the insulation being cracked so I decided to just leave it as I found it. I'm sure the RF coil will be going out on this set sooner rather than later, so next time I have it apart I will examine it again closely to be sure. Thanks for looking out for me though!!

Kirk,

Thanks! A thumbs up from you on the cabinet rework means a lot. I really admire your work.

Great job Jon. Nicely done

Icon_thumbupIcon_thumbupIcon_clapIcon_wave

Well done, Jon!

Excellent Workmanship.
A Restoration to be VERY Proud of

Congrats
Bob T

Morzh,

It turns out I had to take the chassis out of the cabinet much sooner than I had thought. As promised, I checked out the wires coming into the chassis from the power plug. You were right, the insulation on that wire was definitely crackedIcon_clap I will be removing those wires tonight/tomorrow.

Thanks again for mentioning. I owe you one!
Jon

Nice nice. I'm starting on an 89/19 for a friend. Hope it comes out as good as yours.

Nice job!Icon_clapIcon_clapIcon_clap
Time to find another one to work on!!

Art, Klondike,

Thank you very much. I'm pretty happy with how it came out. Thanks again.