Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco Hippo Speaker

I'm currently doing a Hippo right now and accidentally poked a hole in the speaker. Would it be better to recone or replace the speaker? Also I was wondering if anybody has ever made re-cap kit/list for specific radios. Since this is my first restoration, should I be replacing the wiring and resistors too?

How big is the hole?

If it is not too big you can repair it. Carefully put back as much of the speaker material as you can into its original position; use some toilet paper (don't laugh) to fill in any remaining gap. Glue all with FABRIC glue which you can obtain at Wal-Mart or any fabric store.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

The toilet paper worked perfect, I used that and some silcone based glue for flexibility. Not sure how well it will sound. I'm still restoring the chassis. Wow, some sloppy soldering in there, might re-wire the whole thing.

Hi Tony,
Some places like Just Radios will make upa cap kit for your particular radio.
If you are going to be doina a lot of sets, it would be cost effective to order a cap assortment. Just Radios, Radio Daze etc have the assortments of the most popular values you'll need.

For now, just use the diagram, and make a list.
Gary.

tony2K35, hi. When you make up the list of caps check it twice for values. Radio Daze has a minimum order and I know a guy that had to order three times as he kept on screwing up on a .001mfd (.1mfd one time, .01mfd the next) so he had to order more then he needed. Well, ended up with a large selection of caps ($15.00 worth of spares)! PL