Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Chassis Detailing or not

After browsing around today at Kutztown I saw several beautifully restored radios of various makes. One thing I noticed was all of them had chassis that although electrically restored, cosmetically seemed untouched. Other than a dusting and cleaning they were pretty much as found. I have seen many people that take it a step further on the internet in that they paint their chassis to make them like new. My question is how do you all feel about how far a chassis should be taken?

Ron

Bendix 0626.      RCA 8BX5.   RCA T64
Philco 41-250.    Philco49-500
GE 201.             Philco 39-25
Motorola 61X13. Philco 46-42        Crosley 52TQ
Philco 37-116.    Philco 70
AK 35                Philco 46-350
Philco 620B.       Zenith Transoceanic B-600
Philco 60B.         Majestic 50
Philco 52-944.    AK 84

I think it's mostly a matter of personal tastes. I've painted a couple of chassis myself, but only ones that had a lot of corrosion issues. most radio chassis were plated and not painted, so it's not technically "correct". I prefer the original look and I wouldn't think of painting a chassis that is in good original condition, but if it's in bad cosmetic shape, I don't see anything wrong in painting it. just my two cents!
Kevin

Having sprayed some radio chassis to improve their appearance, I agree with Kevin. I would prefer to opt for "or not" - in other words, leave its appearance original - unless it has serious rust issues. I have only painted chassis when they looked really crappy, never when they looked good or at least acceptable.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

I do prefer the original look and in my part of the world a dusting and wipe down with a wet rag is what most radios need to look good as new. I wouldn't knock someone for painting a really rusty chassis but I avoid buying anything with a rusty chassis myself.

Gregb

Thanks for your input guys. My 37-116 has a few minor spots that almost cleaned up completely but overall is pretty decent. So I think you are right...it will be left original. I did however paint the tube shields as the plating was very spotty to non existent also rusty. Also polished up the IF cans and E-caps.

Ron

Bendix 0626.      RCA 8BX5.   RCA T64
Philco 41-250.    Philco49-500
GE 201.             Philco 39-25
Motorola 61X13. Philco 46-42        Crosley 52TQ
Philco 37-116.    Philco 70
AK 35                Philco 46-350
Philco 620B.       Zenith Transoceanic B-600
Philco 60B.         Majestic 50
Philco 52-944.    AK 84

I have never painted a chassis but I do like to get in there and clean and polish it. I do like to clean and repaint power transformers. (this one's not done yet).

Eric
Lake in the Hills, IL
Member: Philco Phorum, ARF, ARCI & Radiomuseum.org

Personally, I do not polish or paint the chassis or IF cans etc. I will clean the chassis and touch up any rust spots with aluminum paint to match and blend with the surrounding area.

Originally the aluminum parts were raw aluminum and while somewhat shiny, most did not have a mirror polished appearance. I prefer to maintain the original look as much as possible. Something that is 80 years old should gracefully show its age just a bit.

Yes, but don't over do it. I hate a dirty chassis. first thing I do is get out the leaf blower and buzz that bad boy. Then I remove the tubes and go in there to remove the 60 years of accumulated crud. Then I do underneath.
It is not new but it is not ugly.

I have painted a chassis that was literally a rusty pitted hunk.

Times I have been electrocuted in 2021
As of 1/01/2021
AC: 4 DC: 1
Last year: 6

If the chassis is not totally ugly then I keep it as found. Some are too far gone and need serious treatment. When you see a "restored" chassis you don't know how bad it might have been to start with.

The one thing that tic's me off is a chassis scrubbed with steel wool. If the radio was free I wouldn't take it, to me that is the worst thing a person could do to a chassis.

Gregb

And why is that Greg?

Eric
Lake in the Hills, IL
Member: Philco Phorum, ARF, ARCI & Radiomuseum.org

All those little scratches just don't do it for me and once they are there its for ever. I strongly believe never do something to an antique that cant be reversed and that includes drilling holes and scratching the chassis all up with steel wool.
Please don't forget this is only my opinion and a person can do what ever he or she likes with his or her radio.

Gregb

Well for one you can end up with random bits of steel wool getting into the wrong places, I haven't personally but I could see that happening. For another it leaves a scratched up look, especially on the aluminum cans. Some have a rotten habit of doing this to bronze dial escutcheons making them all bright and shiny.
The only detailing I do is to wash the chassis with a TSP solution, and a tooth brush on a hot day, rinsing it thoroughly with hot water, unless the chassis is very rusty. If the chassis is rusty I use rust remover and 0000 steel wool and work at the rust spots with it, then mask off or remove various items, then prime, then paint with brushed nickel metallic spray paint.
Regards
Arran

Actually, you can get rid of the little scratches from steel wool the same way you do when refinishing a cabinet. You just have to use finer and finer steel wool and/or sandpaper then buff and polish and they will go away. Can be a lot of work though. As I say it works the same way as the finish on a cabinet, Of course you would use metal polish like semi chrome, etc. they do this before they polish or chrome metal.

I tend to like the chassis just cleaned up. Getting rid of all that dust and grime is just perfect for me. Keep it looking like the 70 year old radio it is.