Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Record player side sound degrades after warmup

So I became the proud new owner of a Philco cabinet console record player/radio (I can get the exact model if need be...). I am totally psyched about it. The speakers and radio sound great. In great condition, and the record player even works! Belt and needles are in good shape.

For the turntable/record player, it sounds fantastic for maybe 5 to 8 minutes or so. But when everything starts to warm up, the sound degrades quite a bit. Scratchy (like some wires are loose or something) and undulating sound. After the record player has been off for several hours, then it's fine again for 5 to 8 minutes. I am assuming when the tubes and everything get warmed up, that's causing the problem.

So I guess my question is what the issue actually stems from. And also how hard would it be to fix? I am pretty novice when it comes to radio repair, but I am pretty good with my hands and love to tinker. Is this something i can easily repair myself, or would i probably just break things more? And if I took it into a repair shop, how much would it set me back?

Model number is helpful. Tubes or transistor?

You can take the tubes to someplace in the area and test them. If it goes further than that you will more than likely need some testing equipment and some electronics knowledge to track down the bad component. Also remember that tube electronics have lethal voltages in them, you have to be very careful not to touch the wrong thing and be aware of saftey precautions. Is it very old? Older sets even if working need the old capacitors changed or they might explode either causing a transformer, etc to go out or even start a fire. If it is old you really shouldnt play it without the caps being changed.

Hey guys - It's a Philco M-1666-124. I believe it's tubes in there. The copyright date from the manual is from 1963.

Most common cause is gassy audio output tube and/or leaky coupling cap. It may need attention above the novice level.