Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

To restore or not to restore?

I got this 70 from K-town and am debating whether to refinish the cabinet.
I GoJo'd it and it came much cleaner but I think someone did something to the finish. If it is original should I leave it?

It looks kinda crappy and I dont think it looks original but you tell me if you think it is original or If I should strip... The base needs a strip and re-tone I think at the least.

Times I have been electrocuted in 2021
As of 1/01/2021
AC: 4 DC: 1
Last year: 6

Looks original to me.
Actually short of some scratches it does not look bad at all after Gojo.

Not bad at all.

I'd just lightly touch up the scratches to match the newly revealed "cleaned" tones.

Also stealthy re-glue any wood joints to make it sturdier to handle the chassis weight once re-united.

The rear arch supports are notorious for being loose or missing.
I think repros are available for the support.

I'd think you should be able to correct the control knob set too.

Nice find. See Ron's Galleries for cabinet pics and knob styles/sizes.

----->> http://www.philcoradio.com/gallery/1931b.htm

Chuck

FWIW, I have 2 70's and the veneer on the back arch/case has a beautiful bookmatched figure that on your radio looks to have been covered with brushed on varnish stain. If that is the case, then I would defiantly refinish it as to see the figure in the veneer.

The two bottom knobs I think are OK, it is the middle which probably not even Philco, and the top that should be large rosette?
And in some 70 all three bottom knobs can be small ones.

That's what i thought too Todd, it looks like a bad staining job. The front arch looks original al but the face is also splotchy.

As of 1/01/2021

What to do depends on what your plans for the radio are. I tend to agree with Chuck. I am sure that you can make it look better. But are you going to keep it or sell it? My self I hate to see old radios that look over done. It's really a matter of how you feel.
Henry

It is a keeper. 99% of them are. Just trying to decide if the finish is original or not.

As of 1/01/2021

Try some alcohol on it, they may have slobbed shellac all over the original lacquer. You really have nothing to loose by trying it, I had a radio with a blotchy yellowish look, even after the Gojo treatment, tried some rubbing alcohol on it and it came off revealing the original finish underneath.
Regards
Arran

Sounds good! will try that

Thanks

As of 1/01/2021

I would redo the whole thing, especially if I had your ability.

You can fix cabinet, how about the insides?

She is dirty but looks untouched except for one filter cap. Haven't removed the chassis. I have to finish my other radios before I open another one.

Attached Files Image(s)

As of 1/01/2021

Kirk, it looks like your 70 is the less common late version with AVC.

Steve

M R Radios   C M Tubes

OOH less common! $$$$$$$$$$$$ Icon_lol

Good for my family when they sell it after my death. Icon_rolleyes

Thanks Steve

Kirk

As of 1/01/2021