Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Gotta stop looking at CraigsList

I’ve got to stop looking at CraigsList; too often there are unusual radios. This past Monday I found a listing for a Philco Grandfather Clock (Model 507 I believe) for $150. I responded to the listing and “claimed” it. With a set of the proper tools for a 1931 Philco, I went to the seller’s warehouse, removed the radio chassis (70) from the cabinet, and somehow managed to get this beast into my Jeep Wrangler. I’m very glad I have an electronic rear-view screen since I couldn’t see anything on the passenger side nor from the rear view mirror.

The radio is on the bench now and after two hours the cap blocks have been emptied and restuffed and all of the resistors replaced. The filter caps are those nice copper variety. There’s nothing but lots of dust on the top of the chassis and that will come off quickly with an air gun. Tonight comes the plug-in.

The cabinet is in very nice shape and should be a fairly easy restoration. The clock was someone’s kitchen wall clock which I won’t waste my time with; it was held in place with screws and wire. I’ll probably go for a modern battery clock.

After this comes the question of where will it go. I haven’t the slightest idea. I don’t even know the market value on these grandfather clock radios but I know it’s not cause for celebration.

Pete AI2V

Sad that the clocks are always gone but the piece is nice to have and to look at. I have a regular grandfather clock and when I get a Philco one I will replace the one I have.

There is one local to me but for $150 without the clock or the speaker it is a deal breaker.

enjoy it.

Kirk[/quote]

Times I have been electrocuted in 2021
As of 1/01/2021
AC: 4 DC: 1
Last year: 6

At least I've got the speaker! It would be very difficult to find a working AC clock of this era; the motors are usually smoked, open armature, or bound rotor shaft.

Pete AI2V

I agree with the batt clock Idea. I have a 42-kr5 that although the clock still worked, I wanted it to run cont without the risk of leaving it pluged in so I replaced the motor with a batt clock motor kit bought at hobby lobby, I was able to use the original hands and face so from the exterior you cant tell. They also sell pendulum battery clock kits for grandfather/regulator style.

For what it's worth... If these things used a GE-Telechron clock, that cartridge motor and geartrain can be pried apart (the part that goes into the coil extends all the way to the top) at the place where it was rolled shut in the first place. When you lift the works out you will find that the geartrain has goo all over it. That was ONCE oil.
Flush it all out with alcohol. Better yet, take it to a place that repairs real watches. Have THEM flush it out for you. A small amount of light oil will make it last another 75 years or so. (before you seal it up again, set the movement back in the housing, and the housing back in the coil. Plugh it in. Be sure it runs at all, and in the correct direction.

This works for the old Clock Radios as well. Most used GE-Telechron movements, and evenually siezed up with 'Goo-Itus'.

I think those GE/telechron are much newer than the Philco 70. I have done as you described and have had pretty good l8uck with them. I've just drilled a small hole in it and gave it a good flushing then solder the hole up.
Terry

A VERY good find!!

Icon_thumbupIcon_thumbupIcon_clap