Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Latest Treasure!

I cant believe my luck lately but here is the latest find. This one is a local set as it has all of the local old radio station tags in the dial and it is a Canadian made set as well, model 38-C116. Has an excellent condition back with it as well. This one was in my neighborhood!
As usual for this area absolutely no rust and just a gentle coat of dust.

Gregb

Excellent find, congratulations!

John KK4ZLF
Lexington, KY
"illegitimis non carborundum"

That beast looks like it just came out of the crate!

Great catch and it came with the radio back. They are hard to find. Nice!

Nice Greg,
That chassis is CLEAN!

Kirk

Times I have been electrocuted in 2021
As of 1/01/2021
AC: 4 DC: 1
Last year: 6

Wow!Icon_thumbupIcon_thumbup I need to move near you. There's nothing like that in my neighborhood.

Eric
Lake in the Hills, IL
Member: Philco Phorum, ARF, ARCI & Radiomuseum.org

I can't believe how nice that chassis looks. Great find!

Are you serious???

Yes I am Art!! One of the nicest sets I have ever come across. Still has the original sellers tag on the inside with a four digit phone number.
The story the lady gave me when I picked it up was it was bought new by a bush pilot and he used it up till the early 70's and then gave it to the lady I got it from as he was moving into a seniors home and didn't have the room for it anymore. She has had it in her living room and using it until I bought it from her yesterday. She had it playing when I got there and it sounds really good but needs to be worked on for sure.
I had a quick look at it and it has all Canadian Marconi tubes in it except the rectifier, it is a 5Y4G Philco and it should be the 5V4G. I am not sure if it would have come with Philco tubes or not as a lot of the Canadian radios I have come across have Marconi tubes in them. Ron do you know if a Canadian Philco would have had Philco branded tubes or not? There are no service tags but until I have a look at the chassis its hard to say what work has been done to it.

Gregb

That is one heck of a find! Beautiful radio! Congrats!

Craig R.

Man, that makes my poor 38-116X look like a parts radio! Icon_eek Icon_thumbup

No matter where you go, there you are.

Absolutely beautiful condition!!!Icon_thumbupIcon_thumbupIcon_thumbup

I cant believe it but I have started cleaning the years of nicotine off the cabinet and it looks even better. It still has a really nice gloss to it and I do think this will be one of the finest radios in my collection. Cant wait to get started on the chassis.

Gregb

Greg the radio gods have surely smiled on you! That is one unbelievable find and near you yet to boot. Have fun and enjoy that one.

Ron

Bendix 0626.      RCA 8BX5.   RCA T64
Philco 41-250.    Philco49-500
GE 201.             Philco 39-25
Motorola 61X13. Philco 46-42        Crosley 52TQ
Philco 37-116.    Philco 70
AK 35                Philco 46-350
Philco 620B.       Zenith Transoceanic B-600
Philco 60B.         Majestic 50
Philco 52-944.    AK 84

Now that I think about the opportunity I had 14 years go to move to Canada (my then girlfriend was from Toronto and it was a serious relationship)....if I had that hobby back then my whole life could've turned out different Icon_lol