Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average

Another 87 Lowboy? (Bought it!)

Just got off the phone with a friend I am supposed to see for a cookout Sunday. He is the one who works on radios and he just offered me a working 87 Lowboy for something like $30-$50. Said he had it dumped off on him in return for a repair job he did and he's been too sick the past week to mess with much. Guess he hooked the radio up and it worked fine, pulling in a lot of stations with only him using his fingers on the antenna post. He also said the intricate grill was at least mostly intact with only minor damage. Now.. I already have an 87 lowboy, but should I pick this one up? Sounds like it already has things neutralized right and sounds like it is already working better than the one I have. Hmmm.. Icon_think

No matter where you go, there you are.

Well, after my trip to Rogers Flea Market turned into a bust and since I go right past my friend's place on the way there anyways, I stopped in and ultimately bought the 87 lowboy for $50. It is currently in my bedroom and I am listening to it as I post this message. Works pretty darn good, though will need a dial light bulb and the grill needs repair. We found some of the grill parts laying in the speaker, so that's a start. Also, I think that the cord will need replaced later. Still, $50 for a working Philco with an otherwise good cabinet is not bad! Icon_smile

One in one corner, another in an opposite corner...Stereo! Icon_biggrin

Congratulations!

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Hmm, stereo 87s! Icon_smile I could do that if I ever feel like moving my Majestic out of the room.
This 87 has one tiny oddity. It has a tube shield around the 27. There is no provision for a top, but none of my other 87s have this. I am thinking it might have been added later, but it uses the same rivets that hold the tube socket in place and looks just as old as everything else in there. Odd.. Icon_think

And here's a picture! I had noticed a hum on this set, but after swapping out what ended up being a weak 45 for a better one and tweaking the hum control, it really works well now. Everything is staying cool, it sounds good, and even the spliced together cord with it's mile long wad of friction tape is doing fine. Looks like a repair done in the 50's there... Anyways, I think I'll leave well enough alone and just enjoy this set. It's turning into a possible daily driver.

One fine looking radio Jayce!
Jerry

A friend in need is a pest!  Bill Slee ca 1970.

Jayce,

That's a nice looking radio and a steal for $50.00. What year did that one come out? I'm guessing early 1930's?

Tom

Thanks, Jerry!

Tom, this is a 1929 model, maybe just peeking into 1930. Oddly, according to the information here, this design had already been surpassed when Philco brough out it's little brother, the model 65. But, it appears the Super neutrodyne model 87 was popular enough to live on.
Now, if only there was something on the AM spectrum to listen to on weekends besides sports, crappy radio shows, and gabby DJs. FM is where it is at on weekends around here, hence my reason for buying the RCA New Vista Stereo.

Very nice looking. You scored well on that one!

sweet!

not a bad deal,

Icon_thumbup

Times I have been electrocuted in 2021
As of 1/01/2021
AC: 4 DC: 1
Last year: 6

Super nice and the price was right also!

Jayce Wrote:Now, if only there was something on the AM spectrum to listen to on weekends besides sports, crappy radio shows, and gabby DJs.

You need an SSTRAN AMT3000, an old computer, and a stock of MP3s of the type of music you like, or your favorite old time radio shows, or both.

http://www.sstran.com/#AMT3000

You can also find sources of streaming audio online, and use that to run through your SSTRAN. It's your choice - with the SSTRAN, you become the program director. Icon_biggrin

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Or any MP3 player. Works just fine. Gigabytes of music can play days without repetition.

Mike, how long do batteries last in today's MP3 players? Or can you attach a wall wart for unlimited use?

If so, I think I'll go that route and save some energy over using an old PC...

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN