Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Question re: resistor rating

Hi all,

Just completed the restoration of a 46-427. The only electrical fault was an open resistor. Upon temporarily bridging the resistor with a known good resistor, the radio came alive with a rich, clear sound. The temporary resistor is a 1/4 watt resistor connected by means of jumper leads. I do not know the wattage rating of the original resistor, but looking at the size of it, it appears to be the same size as a 1watt modern resistor. The schematic / service manual does not give the wattage rating. Can I just go ahead and solder the 1/4 watt resistor in place or should I get a 1/2 or even a 1 watt resistor? The 1/4 watt resistor seems to work just fine but I have only had the radio running for 5-10 minutes at a time. The resistor did not seem to be unduly warm or hot to the touch after a few minutes. Welcome any suggestions.

Don

Hi Don

If you have the schematic and parts list, this article on my website should help you out.

http://www.philcoradio.com/tech/resistor.htm

Here you will soon see that the Philco resistor part numbers give the wattage rating (albeit in code as part of the resistor part number).

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Addendum:

You didn't mention which resistor, but I figured it out from your posting in that other forum.

R202 - 470K - Philco part no. 66-4473340

The latter part of that part number (3340) indicates that the original resistor was 1/2 watt.

The 46-427 is a nice radio. Good luck with it.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Thanks, Ron! I replaced the resistor with a 1/4 watt one which I had on hand and it's working just fine. The calculations (suggested on the "other forum") indicates that the 1/4 watt is more than adequate for the job. And yes, the 46-427 is a nice radio indeed! has a nice rich sound and a simple, but attractive (at least to me) cabinet.

Don