Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

My new Philco grandfather clock

Well after quite a while seeing this clock listed for $250, then $200, Then $150, then $100, I offered $75 and she said ok. The son said it had no tubes but they were all there when I showed up.

Cabinet is solid and very nice except for one chipped piece on top molding.

Chassis is a bit rusty but clean otherwise. I am getting a great speaker from Bob and cant wait to restore it. All I need is an original clock mech.

Attached Files Image(s)

Times I have been electrocuted in 2021
As of 1/01/2021
AC: 4 DC: 1
Last year: 6

Well, with toobs for $75 is certainly worth it.
Congrats!

If need any help with the chassis let me know.
Just don't remove the dial Icon_lol

Oh.
Bummer. The chassis got no shield. You will have to by a repro.
I do not know if the 20 fits, it is being sold on eBay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1931-Philco-Mode...20e639c3ba

She says "other models available".

I would forget for a while about clock. Make the radio work and look good, then you can present it, and the clock can wait.

Congratulations. In my opinion those are one of the more attractive Grandfather Clock Radios made, and since the wife lets mine stay upstairs she must like it too Icon_e_wink

John KK4ZLF
Lexington, KY
"illegitimis non carborundum"

Thanks guys,

Don't remove the dial?

I didnt even know the chassis had a tube shield.

I can get one from Tim. He makes them and they are really nice.

Kirk

As of 1/01/2021

OK then disregard my question in PM.

And yes a 70 has a shield. Look at the one you got in K-town.

Wow nice job adding the clock radio to your collection! I really like it. They must be hard to find because I have only heard of one other preson talk about them on the forum. Good luck retoring it I sure am jelous!!

Yes, a mighty fine deal! Icon_thumbupIcon_thumbup

I went to pick it up and the old lady said " I just want to make sure you know that it does not play"

I thought, Well without the speaker it would be hard but I just said it will play again and i will love it.

NOW, Who wants to give me $300 for it? Icon_lolIcon_lol

It is going right up against my library wall.

As of 1/01/2021

The front-facing wood on the crown doesn't look original. The original has a tendency to flake off and mine will take a lot of delicate restoration work.

I picked up my Philco grandfather clock three weeks ago for $150 and I'm in the final stages; a battery clock mechanism (from Klockit) should be arriving any day. The dial on mine had aged quite dark, slightly greenish; I scanned it and did a full "restoration" with PhotoShop CS2. The new dial has been printed on a heavy stock at Staples. I can send the file to you if you like.

After recapping and replacing all of the resistors the Model 70 radio works beautifully!

Pete AI2V

I was looking at the hurled walnut on the top and thought it looked odd but I think it is original. It definitely has age lines and is cracking. I think someone stripped and stained the clock case so maybe that is why it looks odd.

I have not taken it apart yet and didn't scrutinize the dial but it looked pretty good.
Thanks for the offer. Is the dial paper?

As of 1/01/2021

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Antique-1931-Phi...2c83027ec0

This guy wants THAT MUCH for it.

Kirk

I am not sure, but it seems like the guy at Oldradioparts.com treated my inquiry as order as the order amount reflects some extra. So you might have the 70 tube shield after all.
Good news is, if this is what I hope it is (I simply asked Gary if he happened to have a 70 triple shield) - it is about 1/2 price of the one that guy on eBay is trying to sell for 20 bucks.

In fact he said he shipped it. Before I had a chance to pay.

no problem

As of 1/01/2021

Here are pics of the old/new clock face and the untouched original crown. The face was printed on the heaviest material in the Staples stock; flat finish and when held up to bright light a cloth-like mesh is visible. The surface is perfectly smooth.

Attached Files Image(s)

Pete AI2V