Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

BOL Question

A couple of years back restored a 41-629 BOL system. I have the radio and phono working nicely. My question regards the two neon lamps that indicate "Record" and "Play". Neither of my lamps lite up when the switch is in either position. I have replaced the caps in the box with the switch, the resistors were fine. Do these lamps die over the years or am I missing something? I think the lamps are NE-48 but not sure.

neon lamps do eventually die, from electrode wearing and such.

But they are still available.
Also lighted wall switches use them, so you could extract one if you need it.

The best test is, take another lamp, put it in parallel with the one you have (preferably with the original one unsoldered and the test lamp in its place to exclude a shorted lamp) and see if it works.

The lights are to display the audio level. I think you adjust the volume when in recording mode until the light with the green ring glows. The light with the red ring indicates and audio level that is too high and may cause distortion. I have attached the service manual pages on the HR-1 home recording unit that shows the schematic.

Attached Files
.pdf Philco_41-HR-1.pdf Size: 670.25 KB  Downloads: 133

Sean
WØKPX

Makes sense, thanks for the 41-HR-1 file.

Yes, thanks for the info. I have looked at the schematic and I believe I now know how to connect all of the wires...they were disconnected when I got the 41-608. I have done some preliminary testing, and the detector appears to be putting out a fairly good mV signal when I shine a light on it...but I will know more once I get the system to the point where I can apply power to the set. I still have to do a recap on the unit, and rewire the power cord.

Rick