Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Well...

I Did it... Local guy who comes to our club meetings sometimes wanted to unload a few radios for debt reasons.

he was in the middle of restoring this one when I guess he needed money. I first looked at it 2 weeks ago. he was going to put it up on Ebay. I passed up a 38-5B last year in favor of a 16B (which I haven't gotten to yet)

So, I paid too much for it. 175. it's mostly restored, cabinet wasn't finished. since I looked at it it's gained decals (in the wrong places). works well, except the shadow meter is pretty meh. I haven't pulled the chassis yet to see how "restored" the paper caps and resistors are. Also he finished painting the PS end caps. I see he tried to clean the dial scale *eye roll* Hope RD makes a repro, Unless Chuck is making them again? (I wish) but all in all it's nice, cabinet is in really nice condition. Icon_thumbup

[Image: http://i1303.photobucket.com/albums/ag14...bf8b10.jpg]

[Image: http://i1303.photobucket.com/albums/ag14...264909.jpg]

Ctc Mark Oppat at oldradioparts.net . Although he is currently sold out of the 38-5 repop dial he may be getting more in..

Last time I spoke to him, and more recently another friend emailed him, he was still out of the dial material. but I can always email him.

not a huge hurry.. it's about third in line to get a once over. Icon_smile I've gotta stop buying these things. I've got a log jam now.

I emailed Chuck last night. he still hasn't found a supplier for the darker material for philco dials.

Try here: http://www.radiodaze.com/products.aspx

BTW I have a 38-5B, and it is a very good receiver.

I'm not in a hurry, I'm optimistic he'll eventually find something. Icon_smile

I have 2 of the RD dials. while they do their job, their redesigns lack some of the original details. for a dollar or two more, Chuck's are just far better, IMO. Maybe I haven't seen all of theirs, but as an example, my 610 dial from them lacks the wavy printed lines at the bottom. theirs has straight lines. their printing also seems to be either a silkscreen or laser type printing, I've accidentally knocked some of that off when I had to file and make the two holes on the hub larger to actually fit on the hub.

these probably seem like picky little things and I should be glad anyone makes them.

Chuck??? I think you mean Mark (Oppat).

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

oops.. yes, I meant MArk! Been a long week @ Work.. Icon_smile

looks like I have a project on my hands. after determining it was safe to power up, and running it for a few hours on my variac, it start motorboating.. yay.. I do have to admit, for the few hours it played, it sounded really good.

Often caused by bad filter caps.

Recommend you replace ALL electrolytic and paper caps, and re-stuff the bakelite block caps. Also check resistors and replace those out of spec. Personally, I replace IF more than 10% out.

Make sure your tubes are good. 6F6s have a habit of getting "noisy."

it's on the bench after my current restore. I've messed a bit with it. there's definitely a dirty contact on the on the tone control. I hope there's nothing wrong with the 6F6 tubes.. those are a bit on the pricy side. Icon_smile

I suppose I could get the tubular ones, no one seems to want those.

If you mean the metal 6F6 tubes, they are cheaper and work well. In fact, NOS metal 6F6s tend to measure a much higher Gm than their glass cousins.

actually I meant the glass tubular ones. they seem to be 1/3-1/2 the price of ST shaped. I'll have to see if pin 1 is being used as a terminal strip on this. if not, I could do metal ones I suppose.

Hmm... I just hopped over to ebay to look, seems they're cheaper (the STs) than the last time I looked a month ago. Gotta love the ebay.

Check out Bob Dobush's site for tubes. Mark Oppat also sells used tubes, and Alton Smith sells both used and NOS.

Yes, the GT variants are cheaper than the ST 6F6 tubes.

Alton as in oldradiotubes? if so, that's usually who I buy tubes from.

I just like to complain about tube prices.. heh.

I should pull it out and look at it now. trying to figure out a problem in another set. I have too much current running through one resistor. trying to make s'mores..