Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Your opinions, please...

Yeah...I know I've been a little absent in this bandwidth for a while, but I'm still out here. Icon_smile

It's been a while since my last radio find of any kind, let alone a Philco. It's just one of those things...you get busy with other stuff, not to mention running out of room to put them. Gee, has that happened to anyone else here? Icon_lol

Over the weekend, we were browsing through a nearby antique mall, and I ran across a model 42-340. The asking price was $45, and the vendor had a 20% off Valentine sale, which would have brought it down to about $36.

The condition wasn't terrible by any means - a few scratches on the top, the bottom paper veneer was intact and in good shape, all the tubes were there, it had a tag that said it "works" (excuse me a moment... Icon_lol Icon_lol Icon_lol ), but the major knock against it was the dial. Although the glass wasn't cracked, there were several points in the reverse lettering where the paint was flaking off, and I wasn't looking forward to dabbing paint on the dial, then living with a blotchy job if I screw it up.

To be honest about it, I could have lived with it the way it was, but that's what scared my wife off from it. I suppose Rock-Sea (or whoever took them over) might have a replacement for it, but it might not have been worth going to that extreme.

We decided against taking it, but I'm willing to bet it'll still be there for another week or two.

I thought the asking price wasn't that bad, and if I decided to fix it up and sell it, odds are I might not break even if I was lucky, given the way the economy has been going.

What do you guys think?

Bill

Sent from my Pentium II on the AT&T Dial Network

Hello Bill!! I have found that most sellers of vintage radios will let me pull the chassis & inspect once I inform them that I know how to professionally service tube type radios & own a vintage radio collection & vintage electronics repair shop. I bet that radio you are looking at has the dreaded "crusty rubber wiring" under chassis that needs serious attention!! I always carry a small tool kit with screwdrivers, & continuity tester also to carefully remove & inspect under-chassis, spkr conditions, wiring , tube filaments, "previously hacked", missing parts,etc. All those factors of what needs attention to bringing a vintage radio back to safe/ dependable operation reflects against the sellers "asking price"!!
If all else fails, ask the seller to let you slip a small business card inside the radio so the next person that pays to high a price, has your phone # to get it working again!! Works for me!! Once the seller knows you know more about what they are selling, they get "reasonable" on prices fast!! Bet you can get that radio for $10 bucks if you let the seller know its been setting there for awhile, and you can make it work like new again!! Best of luck!! Randal Icon_smile

Hi Bill

Good to hear from you.

$36 is not a bad price at all, especially if you want to keep the set. If you're looking to resell, though, you won't break even - you'll never be able to get the $$$ back in terms of the time it takes to replace all of that rubber insulation on the wiring (or replace the wires with new). Randal also noted this point.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

I guess what I was getting at was dealing with the condition of the dial - that was the primary criteria for not taking it. I'm no artist by any stretch of the imagination (my sister is a pretty good one, but she lives in Washington DC), and wouldn't want to botch it up with my lack of talent with an artist's brush.

I'll keep an eye on it to see how long it sits around. Getting it working is the least of my worries. Icon_wink

Bill

Sent from my Pentium II on the AT&T Dial Network

Hi Bill

Good point on the dial - yes, you're right, that can certainly be a deal breaker. A repro dial, if available, will cost nearly as much as what you can get the radio for. Another strike against your fixing it up for resale.

I have a 41-246 with a broken (glass) dial scale. I do not think this dial has ever been reproduced, and I doubt I'll ever find another dial scale - the 246 has different SW coverage than the more common 41-245. I haven't yet decided what I'll end up doing with it - I have too many other unrestored sets sitting around, most of which are more interesting to me than this one. Icon_smile

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

I have a "remedy" to repair hard to find glass dial scales! If the orig dial-glass has a "clean break" no little shards missing, I have successfully repaired several using clear "4-mil" window film!! I carefully apply the clear window film across the rear side of the orig dial glass,( very sticky adhesive!)... and it holds broken pieces together, and allows for dial-lamps to illimunate as original! Similar too a giant piece of thick scotch-tape, but has to be applied with water activating the adhesive on the window film! I repaired a broken hard to find 1936 Crosley radio dial for one of my customers a couple yrs ago, and they were VERY happy!! My primary business has been installing pro-quality window films since 1978. Commercial Bldgs, Residential homes, Automotive, RVs, etc!! I CAN repair vintage radio dialglass also, it the "break" is clean!!! I also pay attention to not applying too much water (activating clear film adhesive),.. to faulter the orig stamped ink dial scale printings! Each vintage radio glass "broken", dial scale is "case by case" basis for restoration!, depends on how bad the break is!!... but I have had great success in restoring them where they can be used again with "strength added" for successful mounting into orig radio hardware!! I would be more than happy to assist restore this broken dial glass if you wish!? I also make my own replacement plastic dial covers for vintage radios, and they look as good as the ones I used to purchase from the BEST online sources!! I purchased many myself, until I learned how to get the same quality, making them myself!! I now stock PETG type clear plastics, custom cut forms to "heat form" vintage radio plastic dialcovers, and stock the orig "correct" size brass eyelets to mount the new covers in their orig brass escutcheons!! If I can help "mend" the broken glass vintage dial-scale, let me know!! My services are "minimum wages"by/hr, and actual rtn. shipping charges to sender!! I have "plenty" of the clear 4-mil glass film here in my shop, and more than happy to help fellow vintage radio restorers!! I have also repaired several vintage "crusty"- "crumbling"...vintage plastic Philco dial-scales, in the past that had cracked pieces!! My "4-mil" clear film holds all pieces together, and allows for re-installation to the front shafts of the orig tuning condensers! These type "tedious repairs" takes lots-o-concentration, but I haved saved several hard to find vintage radio plastic & glass dial scales!! I would be more than happy, to help anyone get their hard to find "broken pieces", fully usable again!! Sincerely, Randal Icon_smile