Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

1931 Grandfather Clock/radio completed!

I finally completed repairing the finish on a Philco Grandfather Clock/Model 70 radio. The original grill cloth was perfect.

In the process of carrying the clock/radio up from the cellar workshop, my son managed to put his hand through the grill cloth. Luckily I had a very close remnant of material from another Philco and installed it. I had noticed that my cat was intrigued by the second sweep hand in the clock movement and it was funny to watch. However once the new grill cloth was in place, it took only 10 seconds for my cat to try to claw his way up to the clock, via grill cloth, to get to the sweep hand. The new cloth was salvaged but now I've got to cover the clock so that my cat doesn't try to climb it again! I guess I'll have to remove the sweep hand.

Pete AI2V

Cats and clocks do not mix well.
Cat should be given a lecture about what's off limits. Spraying the base with pepperspray or simply fresh ground black pepper (no, habaneros are cruel, though if you rub just a bit on the base.....) and close familiarization with it might help.

Water pistol, or a newspaper usually dissuades them from such things. I've never had a cat that like to chase mechanical things nor climb after them. The good news is that I think that these sets used the same grille cloth as a model 70/90 and that is available again.
Regards
Arran

Well, I have a board from the 570 with disintegrating remnants of cloth. It does not seem to be the same cloth as in the cathedral sets, it is different. It reminds me of the one used in the 18 console I have.

morzh is right, it's a slightly different grill cloth material. I ended up using a piece of 70/90 remnant and it looks fine. I've also removed the sweep hand from the clock. My cat was very disappointed in not seeing the hand and has given up the destruction for the time being.

It's funny about these grandfather clock/radios- several major manufactures made them in 1931 and never again. I guess they weren't as popular as they had projected.

Pete AI2V

Well.....myself, if I ever buy this, this would be for collecting sake and not for its functionality.

To me, a standup clock is a part of decor, and should be the clock, with pendulum and such. Making the tic-tac sound etc.
A clock with radio in it....not sure I understand the purpose.

But now that it is a part of history, it is worth having in collections.

No, you have it all wrong.

It's a radio with clock around it.

8)

There is one in where I am traveling this Saturday, fully original with clock and all, the 570, for $350 or so.
But.....I am not sure I could fit it in the Jeep, especially together with 37-116 in it.
Even though I am sure I could negotiate the price down a bit.

It is in Hartford area, I think, just came out on CL.

They did make them after 1931, there is a 1932 Philco model with a model 71 chassis in it. I've also seen a Rogers built set that must have been a 1933-34 model as it had shortwave bands.
Regards
Arran

The table model Radio/Clocks were also from around the 1930/31 era, such as the Radiocron and ERLA sets. A really short lived style. Too bad. I like them, but price pressure and the depression probably had something to do with them going away.

"I just might turn into smoke, but I feel fine"
http://www.russoldradios.com/

morzh-
I fit the radio/clock into MY Jeep Wrangler but I wasn't carrying anything else. Luckily I have a rear view camera and LCD screen- I couldn't see anything out the rear!

Pete AI2V

I'm sold, and to think I was thinking about a cat. No cat. Dogs, too many problems, you know, walking, cleaning up hair etc.
As for the clock issue, a grand father clock that doesn't swing a pendulum is like a day without night. I would go for a radio/grand father clock with a real clock. An electric clock just doesn't hack it for me. I guess no one made them.Icon_sadIcon_sad
Jerry

A friend in need is a pest!  Bill Slee ca 1970.

Jerry

You gotta choose, either the pendulum, or the radio.
Though you could put a cheap LCD display in front and make it show the pendulum swing, and even do the tic tac sound.

A cat on a rope makes a nice pendulum. And a dead cat makes it very accurate due to the lack of disturbance.

The wife says I have too many clocks that tick and bong, I had to shut one down due to conflicting beats that drove her nuts. I just turn down my hearing aids. A real clock ticks and needs to have a key or weights to keep it running. No grand father clocks yet but would like to have one.
Jerry

A friend in need is a pest!  Bill Slee ca 1970.

Easy. Become a grandfather (unless already are), and any clock you own becomes a grandfather clock.
A well trained parrot on a rope can say tic-tac while swinging.
And if you feel you have had enough you tell him to shut up.
Of course, him being a parrot, he can tell you to shut up right back.
This is where you remind him who puts the food in his feeder. And pluck a feather or to from his tail. That will get him in the respectful mood for a couple of month.
Make sure though he is not in cahoots with your wife.